Starting Photography Class Tomorrow...

I'm not sure as to the reasoning the professor has for you to shoot jpeg mode. That is like a basic photography course using film asking the students to shoot with polaroids.

Perhaps the instructor meant that the final submitted image needed to be a jpeg rather than RAW but that still doesn't make a lot of sense unless trying to deal with different RAW formats would pose a problem. :scratch:

He didn't not elaborate so this could very well be although he did make it a point to say "Jpeg not Raw". He also made a point to mention that we would be shooting in jpeg when he began discussing photoshop editing. I'll have to ask a few questions when I go back next week.

Take all of your photos in RAW+JPEG. Use the JPEGs for the class and keep the RAWs for future use as your skills grow.

I totally forgot about this ability. I'm going to have to buy another 8gb card to seperate the files.

Interesting. It could be to avoid a possible conflict caused by students whose cameras can't save RAW files, but if all the students have DSLRs as you suggest then RAW files should be an option for everyone. It may also be that the class doesn't leave room for the time involved to teach RAW file processing. But then what are you going to do with sh*ty JPEGs?

Joe

For students who do not have their own camera, the department lends out Canon 20Ds so I am certain everyone will have the ability to save in RAW. This class requires a lot. One of them being a minimum 500gb external HD. I can't understand why only jpeg. Where on long island do you live? I live in Farmingville.

I'm not sure as to the reasoning the professors has for you to shoot jpeg mode. That is like a basic photography course using film asking the students to shoot with polaroids.

lol I don't know if it's that drastic, but it definitely is limiting.

Ballistics said:
One thing I forgot to leave out... He made it a point to say that our assignments are going to be taken in the JPG format and not RAW. I don't know why that would be.

So I drove an hour to my photography class that had been canceled due to Hurricane Irene. Nobody was notified because the whole state department is offline as well as the colleges - meaning we have no access to school e-mail or school blackboard site!! So, hopefully next week I start school!

Ahh that's a nightmare. I would be pissed.

If you're looking to buy memory cards for the D7000, I *highly* recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s UHC 1 card. It's blazingly fast with the D7000, which can fully leverage its speed. Just as an example, I set up my D7000 to do RAW 14-bit+JPEG Normal and use the second card as a backup (not split the RAW and JPEG between the two cards). I set it up in continuous high, and held down the shutter release until it slowed down, then watched the "write to card" light and counted until it went out. It took 91 (yes, that's a minute and a half) seconds to complete writing all images to the main card and back them up to the secondary card as well using a standard category 6 SDHC card. With the aforementioned UHC 1 card, I did the same test and it took only 17 seconds. Quite a big difference. Now granted, nobody's going to write RAW 14-bit + JPEG Normal to both cards when also using continuous mode on a regular basis, but it did allow for me to see the true difference. I cannot recall if I had sharpening turned on, which may have contributed to the big numbers overall as well, but the difference percentage-wise is what counted anyhow.

If you're looking to buy memory cards for the D7000, I *highly* recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s UHC 1 card. It's blazingly fast with the D7000, which can fully leverage its speed. Just as an example, I set up my D7000 to do RAW 14-bit+JPEG Normal and use the second card as a backup (not split the RAW and JPEG between the two cards). I set it up in continuous high, and held down the shutter release until it slowed down, then watched the "write to card" light and counted until it went out. It took 91 (yes, that's a minute and a half) seconds to complete writing all images to the main card and back them up to the secondary card as well using a standard category 6 SDHC card. With the aforementioned UHC 1 card, I did the same test and it took only 17 seconds. Quite a big difference. Now granted, nobody's going to write RAW 14-bit + JPEG Normal to both cards when also using continuous mode on a regular basis, but it did allow for me to see the true difference. I cannot recall if I had sharpening turned on, which may have contributed to the big numbers overall as well, but the difference percentage-wise is what counted anyhow.

I own 2 of these

pZype4ZK44TIUbaQ0DSKUqqC5yOdYrUrqkBp0thi3SXtSGYWIV5H8e-8fkWhw0jFfcejt-YAiBO_xUlk4qVkM1JuixemjJZOYtpRC2MP0nXB6yVFkDVJJxZVNUXFlKhQl9cfsnWvOmeweP8uqsEWprJvhUnMsMDGlAae4Q

They seem pretty fast.

No doubt. But think about this - The UHC-1 compliant card, which the D7000 can fully leverage, is yet another 50% faster than that one (45MB/s vs 30MB/s). Quite a boost in throughput (and thus recycle time) when you're doing continuous shooting!

No doubt. But think about this - The UHC-1 compliant card, which the D7000 can fully leverage, is yet another 50% faster than that one (45MB/s vs 30MB/s). Quite a boost in throughput (and thus recycle time) when you're doing continuous shooting!

I don't think I've ever out shot my card. I think my buffer would be the bottleneck in comparison to the card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back