Starting to think I should print more...

weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With Christmas time around the corner Mrs Weepete wanted some presents done for some of the family. I must say I'm quite impressed about how these turned out. These are "Art Panels", a ready to hang solid panel that my local lab does with the largest here being a 30x15".

39197-1576581845-b4e40fe3d37772f026f211ede767e378.jpg

It's really quite a confidence boost seeing your work finished by a professional lab and printed on some pro grade material. I'll really need to some of their other products to see if I can build a physical archive. Who knows, I may even hang a few in my house xD

Great looking pieces.

I think most photographers should print more. It's a completely different experience seeing an image in print on a wall than on a monitor.
As well if you want to make money at it. Most people I've run into don't think you're worth anything by seeing digital images however take that same image and make a nice print and suddenly you have value.

Plus I like some of the images I take so I hang them.

Looks good especially my favorite of the lone tree! What material are these printed on?

Really nice. Ive printed a few larger, but I always run into issues on framing and hanging. As above what exactly is the material they are printed/mounted on? Will they hang as is or will they require frames?

Some fine looking images here......

Thanks Jeff, I think it turned out pretty well considering I ran out of time for test prints and a couple of them I never really rated, so it was quite a surprise to see how good they look in print.

Great looking pieces.

I think most photographers should print more. It's a completely different experience seeing an image in print on a wall than on a monitor.
As well if you want to make money at it. Most people I've run into don't think you're worth anything by seeing digital images however take that same image and make a nice print and suddenly you have value.

Plus I like some of the images I take so I hang them.

Thanks Zombiesniper, I totally agree with you. I used to think there wasn't much in it but turning a bit of your vision into something physical is actually pretty rewarding. Seeing the whole print at large sizes and proper high resolution is great, I've not got a photo editing screen so I tend to judge my images on the 72ppi and the extra resolution from printing really adds to the quality. It's a bit nerve racking getting them to the right place, I don't print a lot so it's just the occasional shot of mine that gets done.

Looks good especially my favorite of the lone tree! What material are these printed on?

Thanks Squarepeg, I think it's some kind of light composite plastic with the actual print on laminated Fuji DP2 with a satin finish then a black edge wrap put on. There's a little texture on the surface and they feel quite robust. I did refine that one a little before putting it out to print and it's finally at the stage I'm happy with it though I think this version is a little too dark, but I don't think most people will notice.

Really nice. Ive printed a few larger, but I always run into issues on framing and hanging. As above what exactly is the material they are printed/mounted on? Will they hang as is or will they require frames?

Thanks Smoke, like I said above it's some kind of composite plastic with Fuji DP2 paper. I assume the actual material is a trade secret unfortunatley, but the paper is laminated with a satin finish and UV protected. The art panels come with mounts already installed on the back and a wall bracket so are ready to hang as is. What's really good is the lab will do any size you like with their custom sizing options. I've used that here where the smaller ones are 10.5"x16" (which is almost A3 size but so they are 2:3 format). My lab offers quite a wide variety of ready to go wall products, so the mounting systems are good, simple and included in the price. Which is great for me as I do tend towards that sleek frameless look. I did do a large 40"x20" print on aluminium and thankfully the mounting system was already there as well so it was a breeze to hang.

Here's the labs page on them if you are interested Art Panel | Loxley Colour

You can't beat prints! I have a few pieces of my own work displayed at home, and a couple of other places, and the viewing experience is so different and so much more intense looking at al a large print, especially with some of the new papers and materials. I love the metallic-foil papers for a lot images.

Thanks for the details. I too prefer frameless, especially for color prints. I really like the metal prints for landscapes but the edges are so sharp! And they are a bit too reflective of the room has a lot of windows. I have some cheapies that I printed through Walmart- photo paper mounted on wood that actually came out pretty decent but I’ve been looking for something more durable than that.

Last edited:
Tirediron, I agree. Prints really showcase your work, not some tiny cell phone image or on a monitor. A print hung on a wall is seen constantly. Not those great images hidden in your cell phone or hard drive. Ever go looking for an image and stumble on a different one you hadn't looked at in years that is one of your favorites? Also, printing reveals any flaws in technique. If printing 16x20 or larger, review the image on the monitor at 100% for dust particles that will be glaring in a large print. I just printed on metallic paper a photo of an old sports car with wire wheels and vibrant colors shot on medium format film. It jumps off the page and all the metal LOOKS like you could touch the metal. I have been doing my own printing for 5 years. How much do I love printing? There is a 24 inch printer in my living room the size of a piano. Told my lady friend if she dated a pianist, he would have a piano in his living room, a photographer has a printer. It wouldn't make it down the hall and is closer for hard wiring to my computer. I think folks are amazed how great images look printed as opposed to on a monitor or cell phone. If I print over 24 inches wide, I use a pro lab but bay photo is available to all and does incredible work. Calibrate your monitor before printing and then have them give you the 5 or 10 test prints to see if you need to tweak each of your prints to match. I use custom profiles for each printer/paper combination. I purchase my paper rolls when epson has buy 2 get one free. My paper cost for a 17x22 is $1.80 that way with one of epson's best papers that purchased by the sheet is $7.80 per sheet.

I really like to have large prints, I have mine on banner plastic for outside use. I would have a wide format printer but cost and space prevents me. I would not have the turnover to make it worth it

You can't beat prints! I have a few pieces of my own work displayed at home, and a couple of other places, and the viewing experience is so different and so much more intense looking at al a large print, especially with some of the new papers and materials. I love the metallic-foil papers for a lot images.

I agree. I keep meaning to get more printed as I've built up a bit of a libray now. I did have 3 printed on metallic paper, but I really think they need well lit or they can look underexposed, and you need to nail the exposure in post too. A few of mine look under but I'm pretty sure the exposures correct on 2 of them, 1 is definatley under and I should really get them re-printed. One in my mum's house is on aluminium and gloss finished and the location is in a lot of diffuse light, it looks fantastic. Pretty much everyone comments on it when they are at their house and it's a splash of colour in a room with a lot of neutral colours so I think fits well. Papers I'm not too hot on, I suppose I should really request some samples from the lab because I'm not sure of the differences.

I do tend to prefer matt prints, just because I feel like if glossy prints are hung in a place with a lot of reflections it can take away from the piece. Occasionaly though stuff can look really good glossy, especially if there is a lot of colour.

Thanks for the details. I too prefer frameless, especially for color prints. I really like the metal prints for landscapes but the edges are so sharp! And they are a bit too reflective of the room has a lot of windows. I have some cheapies that I printed through Walmart- photo paper mounted on wood that actually came out pretty decent but I’ve been looking for something more durable than that.

No problem, I do think it's a quality product and hung they look pretty nice. I'd love to try printing on wood as it really fits in with "my kind of thing". Being a machinist by trade I've a real fondness of "proper" materials that are well made and put together. I totally agree with your aversion to reflections in gloss, I'm the same.

I really like to have large prints, I have mine on banner plastic for outside use. I would have a wide format printer but cost and space prevents me. I would not have the turnover to make it worth it

I also like big prints mate, dunno if I'd have them banner sized but a 60x40 may be on the cards for the living room! I'd love to have the kit to print big myself but like you say finacially it's not viable for me either

I noticed on page 1 someone saying about glossy paper, add to the reasons why not
That the dust seems to show more on the gloss paper.
Weepete.
I looked into the wide format printer. Did the list of pro cons. And the cost per print, low turn over, the lack of 3rd party inks. I have To run my canon a3 every so often as the ink will otherwise dry up.
I can see that for the first few months I would be using a A2/A0 printer all the time. But you can only do so many prints for family. If I were running a business then it would POSs be worth it.

I concur with the prevailing wisdom that most photographers need to print more. I enjoy seeing my photos displayed on my screen saver. The real joy for me is printing my images and hanging them on the way where we get to see them frequently. I put a canvas wrap family photo over the fireplace. and then we have the gallery wall with baby pics and current pics. Another wall is the dedicated couple's wall. This is where we display the kids with their spouses or SOs.

Each room has its own unique style and I try create images to fit the motif.

Most reactions

Back