Starting up...

Girvo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, yay first post!

Well, I wanted to get into photography, and recently my parents (I'm 16) bought me a brand new Panasonic Lumix FZ7. I am pretty happy with it, it does everything I wanted it to do on automatic mode.

However, I want to get into the proper side of photography. I have been playing around with shutter speeds and the like, and have gotten okay at using it (www.esnips.com/web/Boat-Cruise-Photos), but I think I can improve :)

So, where should I be looking for some basic guidance as to how to compose good shots? I really want to become good at this, and I think that with a bit of time and determiniation I can do it :)

- Girvo

Edit: I guess I should mention that I'm quite good with Photoshop (CS2) but I am only used to using it for making websites/car 'chopping' and things like that :)

As luck would have it, I have a similar rig [FZ20], though I use film far more often. Your camera will serve you well.

Start with your library. Don't be shy about asking the librarian for help. Books on composition, either photography or painting or drawing, will supply you with some basic knowledge. With this as a framework, get into the habit of looking at photographs in terms of how they are composed. A great collection is Steichen's old b&w exhibit 'The Family of Man.' As the works are b&w, you can more easily see how each was composed.

Also note pictures which tell a story, rather than simply being nice calendar pics. There are zillions of 'Isn't this pretty?' shots around. Adding yet one more to the pile is relatively easy, but also relatively unimportant. But learning to tell a story with a picture, or taking a portrait that is 'more than just a likeness' will transport you to a very different and, in my opinion, far more deeply satisfying realm.

Girvo said:
So, where should I be looking for some basic guidance as to how to compose good shots?

HERE!

You have found the right place!

TPF.

Welcome. :D

I'd suggest you go to the various gallery forum subthreads (general, landscape and nature, portraits, etc.) and take a look at the pictures people have posted there, along with any comments. It was a huge help for me.

Otherwise, take some pictures and post them, best way to learn is through experience.

Have a look at things around you that interest you. Point the camera at them and move it around, Move yourself around the subject, you will see that sometimes it "Looks" better than at others. Take afew shots from different angles and see what you like about it... There you go.. you are learning composition AND while you are at it, you are developing you own style.
Good luck and welcome to the mad house..

Most reactions

Back