staunch film advocate considering digital...

mallard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.uncensoredfreespeech.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started out with film and wont get into an argument of pros and cons of film vs. digital. I do however have a couple digital point and shoots which I like (a canon and an olympus) but I am thinking about getting into DSLR just to give me a bit more control.

One of the things I do like though is movements on a 4X5 which I wont be able to get in a digital unless someone knows of a digital field camera (or any view camera) that is affordable to normal humans.

To that end I will still continue on with getting back into sheet film and then scanning it. (any recommendations of a scanner which can handle 35mm, 120 and 4x5?)

One of the things that made me reconsider digital is a couple articles I saw on HDRI. Are there any digital SLRs which can incorporate this at the moment of exposure or is this always done with bracketed exposures (can any DSLR instantaneously bracket? so as to get an HDRI of a dynamic scene like action, animals or other movement).

I also like nighttime photography and I remember my instructor saying when they have a digital camera that can take a high resolution image in the types of low light environments he shoots then he would gladly toss his film camera aside. Can digital get an exposure now that normally require a long exposure on film? (im talking like 5 minutes and up)

So when looking at digitals, I thought about reusing my pentax lenses. Does pentax make a decent digital camera? It would be nice to have the same covering as a 35mm film frame but from what I saw only nikon makes a 24X36mm CCD. The local camera store also said Pentax was having financial issues so they really werent stocking up on their cameras. If I cant find a digital field camera with movements, at least I would like some smooth manual focusing.

so....has anyone else had some of the same questions/issues?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the things I do like though is movements on a 4X5 which I wont be able to get in a digital unless someone knows of a digital field camera (or any view camera) that is affordable to normal humans.
Maybe not the same thing, but you can get tilt/shift lenses to fit Canon & Nikon SLR cameras. Probably Pentax and others as well.

One of the things that made me reconsider digital is a couple articles I saw on HDRI. Are there any digital SLRs which can incorporate this at the moment of exposure or is this always done with bracketed exposures (can any DSLR instantaneously bracket? so as to get an HDRI of a dynamic scene like action, animals or other movement).
Many will have AEB (auto exposure bracketing)...so they can fire off three consecutive shots at different exposures. Also, you can use a single image and process it in different ways, then combine the resulting files in the same way you could combine multiple images. Another option is to just edit specific parts of the image, in order to increase the tonal range.

I also like nighttime photography and I remember my instructor saying when they have a digital camera that can take a high resolution image in the types of low light environments he shoots then he would gladly toss his film camera aside. Can digital get an exposure now that normally require a long exposure on film? (im talking like 5 minutes and up)
People have been using DSLR cameras for long (night) exposures with great results. There may be problems like 'hot' pixels or battery drainage...but I'd think that 5 minutes is easily doable.

So when looking at digitals, I thought about reusing my pentax lenses. Does pentax make a decent digital camera? It would be nice to have the same covering as a 35mm film frame but from what I saw only nikon makes a 24X36mm CCD. The local camera store also said Pentax was having financial issues so they really werent stocking up on their cameras. If I cant find a digital field camera with movements, at least I would like some smooth manual focusing.
In this format of camera, Canon has had 'full frame' sensors for several years now. Nikon recently entered the game (with Sony made sensors) and Sony may put a large sensor into one of their cameras soon. As far as I know, Pentax doesn't have a 'full frame' DSLR yet.
The cameras with smaller 'crop' sensors aren't really that bad...but you do have to alter what you think of focal lengths and their field of view.
Pentax does have some good models, so if you have the lenses, that would probably be a good option for you.

thanks.....i didnt think of that (prolly because like the difference between my crown graphic and my tachihara, one has full movements, the other front only)

I saw nikon makes a similar lens.....that puts the digital discussion in that realm of nikon vs. canon. (neither of which ive owned....just pentax 35mm and yashicamat and large formats)

perhaps I should be looking at scanner resolutions? I did read a good article about how digital will all but replace small film formats. is it ok if i post it along with a link to originating site?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
after looking at those I must admit that a canon digital with a shift lens sort of acts like a view camera (a lil bit of control and viewing the results live on an LCD screen instead of a ground glass)

does cameras like the canon do HDRI upon exposure or is that always done with add on software?

You can check the histogram right after you took the photo but not before - the light meter is what you're gonna use before you take it.

Although if it's a picture you can take again then you can check the histogram to get the perfect exposure for the next try.

ok thanks. what about histograms? do they preview or are they always just information about the final image taken?

Since you're not paying for film, test shots are free!

To that end I will still continue on with getting back into sheet film and then scanning it. (any recommendations of a scanner which can handle 35mm, 120 and 4x5?)

I also shoot only film (mainly MF and LF) and scan my negs on an Epson Perfection 4990, which can scan from 35mm up to 8x10. It's a flat bed scanner but for LF scanning works really well.

The newest DSLR cameras do have a live view option and I believe that some of them offer a live view histogram as well. Although, it's not hard to just shoot, check histogram, make adjustments then shoot again.

well, after taking a look at the issues involved, and what type of photography i like best (architectural and landscape) i think those shift lenses would work just fine. If they end up not having enough movements I wouldnt have much of a problem selling them to get large format stuff and a scanner.

however, since I have a few pentax bodies and lenses, it would be best to try to find a pentax shift lens and go with pentax digital....but from what I see I feel like just going with Canon would be a choice that would give me a lot more options (and a much emptier bank)

i never really paid attention to Canon....I assume their digital equipment is first class and for what I do would suffice more so than a medium format back (which i guess is more used in fashion and product photography)

well, after taking a look at the issues involved, and what type of photography i like best (architectural and landscape) i think those shift lenses would work just fine. If they end up not having enough movements I wouldnt have much of a problem selling them to get large format stuff and a scanner.

however, since I have a few pentax bodies and lenses, it would be best to try to find a pentax shift lens and go with pentax digital....but from what I see I feel like just going with Canon would be a choice that would give me a lot more options (and a much emptier bank)

i never really paid attention to Canon....I assume their digital equipment is first class and for what I do would suffice more so than a medium format back (which i guess is more used in fashion and product photography)

I wonder if you can rent a camera/tilt-shift combo before dropping all that cash into it.

Most reactions

Back