Stay the course or jump ship early?

Yep.
Which brand really doesn't matter all that much, because photographer knowledge and skill has way more impact on image quality consistency.

I'm a Nikon-Sony guy but, I think you can do anything you want or need to do with Canon. They offer cameras and lenses that can accommodate any photographic need and the quality is top notch. Also, there is more 3rd party and after market gear for Canon than any other maker.

My favorite gear site is DPreview. You might find their buying guides and forums helpful. They do pretty in-depth reviews and comparisons.

Get both. His and Hers. Canikon.

Those who shoot together....

I owned both systems in the past and just like others have mentioned you can't go wrong with either company. If you stay with one brand you can build up a nice collection of glass that you can both use.

I appreciate all the responses. I thought about just getting a Nikon for me and letting her keep her Canon. But it would be nice to share lenses. Even though she will probably only need the two she has. She's not really that into it as much as I am. But that's just two more lenses I'd have to buy. Even though they are kit lenses that's still two lenses I could use.

Also. If I had known that I was going to be so interested in it I probably would have spent a little more money and got a mid level body. Possibly a 80d or something. I know at my skill level the t6i is enough camera. But do you think it would be worth it to go ahead and step up to something a little better now and have more room to grow into it?

I could possibly sell the t6i body and get a 80d body. Or do I just keep it and buy a good lense instead?

I would say put the money in a lens.

Also. If I had known that I was going to be so interested in it I probably would have spent a little more money and got a mid level body. Possibly a 80d or something. I know at my skill level the t6i is enough camera. But do you think it would be worth it to go ahead and step up to something a little better now and have more room to grow into it?

I could possibly sell the t6i body and get a 80d body. Or do I just keep it and buy a good lense instead?

No, that's not the best idea. Either buy a good lens or put the money aside for now. It will likely be a year or two before you truly outgrow the capabilities of the camera you have now, and by then there might be a new version with better features, or at least the price of the 80d will have come way down. Buying it now will just be spending money on features you can't utilize yet.

Currently there are no real bad cameras out there. I know happy Canon users as well as Nikon, Fuji, Sony and Olympus.

For my personal taste it is important to have a high sensitivity and very good fast prime lenses, because that is what I used in film days and what I use today.

If you usually shoot in bright daylight you might be happy with the Olympus system. If you shoot in Theatre and Churches you might want to have clean High ISO files, good AF in near dark situations and silent operation.

Whats wrong with the t6i? From what I remember that and the 80d are very similar.

When i put my camera on the tripod its worth nearly 5k. I dont consider it mid level, it has crazy capabilities the 70D, I bought the specs I thought I would like as an upgrade.

I would advise to take it back and save your money for a bit and read up if your that big of a " gearhead".

Get a less expensive second hand dslr ( rebels start at about 100$) and take some photos and develop a style and needs, then start saving again and again..... it'll never end........ there is always more gear.

Diference between a t6i is and 80d is 300$? Then you need a lens, so another 200$(50mm)+. So about a 500$ upgrade, and you will notice 0 difference in the photos because your a noob.

I use Nikon myself. So does my GF and most of my family. We share gear.
If I was in your position, I would actually go with something like an Olympus EM1 II with the 12-100 f/4

Whats wrong with the t6i? From what I remember that and the 80d are very similar.

When i put my camera on the tripod its worth nearly 5k. I dont consider it mid level, it has crazy capabilities the 70D, I bought the specs I thought I would like as an upgrade.

I would advise to take it back and save your money for a bit and read up if your that big of a " gearhead".

Get a less expensive second hand dslr ( rebels start at about 100$) and take some photos and develop a style and needs, then start saving again and again..... it'll never end........ there is always more gear.

Diference between a t6i is and 80d is 300$? Then you need a lens, so another 200$(50mm)+. So about a 500$ upgrade, and you will notice 0 difference in the photos because your a noob.

I think I'll just keep the t6i and get a better lense. It seems to be a pretty good camera at least in reviews.. I do prefer the more professional feel of the 80d etc.. But that won't help take better pictures. There is probably going to be an upgrade to the 80d about the time I need one anyway. Now to decide which lense...

If you are really into photography I would recomment the "semiprofessional" lines of cameras, i.e. Dx00 line for Nikon, or the 70d/80d line for Canon. Thats because if you learn to use the controls, you can work fast with these cameras (lower cameras will often require lots of menu surfing).

And at least Nikon outright intentionally cripples the lower lines of cameras, such as not supporting HSS (the ability to use flash units in bright daylight with shutter speeds beyond flash sync, nothing thats overly complicated).

So after some more research I'm wondering if I made the right choice going with Canon.
The differences are rather minor.

Out of the top of my head, guaranteed to be incomplete:

Canon:
+ More speciality lenses (but Nikon also has some gems) like a fisheye zoom, or a magnifier lens
+ All lenses are autofocus (with the exception of a few speciality lenses) and mount on all cameras with full functionality.
+ Better ergonomics, namely better one hand operation (the only Nikon DSLRs that work well this way is the D5x00 line)
+ Dual pixel technology: fast autofocus in lifeview
+ Video: though Nikon added it first, Canon is usually seen in the advantage
+ Very high quality production in Japan and Taiwan
- Two class lens system that gives the "good", expensive L-lenses only to the professional; for example the 50/1.8 is actually lesser in image quality than the 50/1.2 because the later is an L-lens. This isnt the case with Nikon, because Nikon lenses are as good as possible no matter what, thus the 50/1.8 is actually bit better/sharper than the 50/1.4.
- EF-S lenses cant be used on full frame cameras.

Nikon:
+ All in all I think/believe/am prejudiced to Nikon > Canon with lenses when it comes to image quality
+ Compatible lenses since the first DSLRs (but lenses before 1977 need to be converted and many new lens/old camera combinations will not offer full features; the most recent incompability is E lenses which wont allow to change aperture on any Nikon film camera, or on older digital Nikon DSLRs), while Canon only dates back to 1987
+ High quality but affordable lenses in a huge used market
+ High quality Sony sensors, while Canon insist to use their own sensors
+ Probably best flash system of them all
+ Overall a tendency towards lower prices (but see disadvantages)
+ Overall more feature rich cameras (IS there even a Canon with two card slots of the same type ?)
- Known to introduce slight green tint for skin colors (can be fixed in post, mostly just a bit annoying)
- Illogical "reverse" way to mount the lenses (can drive you crazy in the beginning)
- Non-coated monitors might be hard to read in daylight
- Poor autofocus performance in lifeview
- Slow focus point selection in lifeview
- Cheap Nikon lenses (and some more expensive ones) are known for poor autofocus performance (in comparison to Canon)
- A lot of cheap chinese labor and as a result sometimes quality problems for example with the D600 and the D750

There is also a lot of advantages these two companies have over all competition, such as being leader of autofocus performance, having a large used market, having a large market of other companies like Zeiss, Tamron etc which make lenses etc for these cameras.

I thought about just getting a Nikon for me and letting her keep her Canon.
Depending upon your goals that might actually be perfectly possible. Quite frankly those two cheap kit lenses are nothing you will miss if you get higher quality lenses. Especially if you would get full frame, because you cannot even mount EF-S lenses on a full frame Canon DSLR anyway. You COULD mount the EF lenses on the smaller camera, though.

Most reactions

Back