Stay the course or jump ship early?

RDT806

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not to turn this into a Canon vs Nikon thread but I need some guidance. My wife decided she wanted a DSLR for Christmas. She has no interest in pursuing photography as a serious hobby so I did some quick research and bought her a Canon t6i with two kit lenses.

However after playing with this camera it as renewed my interest in photography and I can't put it down. I haven't been into the hobby since the film days and at the time I found it too cost prohibitive with film / development etc.

Now that I'm a little older and have more disposable income I think I could enjoy it more. And these digital cameras make it easier to enjoy in my opinion.

So after some more research I'm wondering if I made the right choice going with Canon. I know it's more about skill and experience than it is camera. But at this point I don't have a ton of money invested. Should I jump the Canon ship now and invest in Nikon or even Sony? If you were just starting out would you switch.

And guidance before I invest money in lenses etc would be greatly appreciated.

I think it is great that you and the wife have a common interest. If it were me, I would stick with the Canon and maybe instead of the two lens kit, get one fast lens and maybe separate lens that is not the focal range of the two already purchased. That way, you would have more flexibility as a system between the two of you.

I think it is great that you and the wife have a common interest. If it were me, I would stick with the Canon and maybe instead of the two lens kit, get one fast lens and maybe separate lens that is not the focal range of the two already purchased. That way, you would have more flexibility as a system between the two of you.

Thanks for the response. So you don't see any need to switch? Also I was considering getting my own body and just sharing lenses.

I guess a lot depends on what you plan on doing with the camera. I prefered the Nikon system myself because I shoot a lot of stuff in lower lighting conditions and that's a place where Nikon has an edge.

However in most shooting situations to be honest the differences between Canon and Nikon really aren't that huge. Sony I don't really recommend unless your going mirrorless, wanting something light weight and don't mind having a very limited lens selection.

If everything your shooting you can shoot with say a 16-50mm lens and you really need the portability, then it might be a good option. But for the most part I don't recommend Sony because of their track record.

Sony has this history of coming up with ideas that sound really great - and then never really following through on them. With my Nikon I can buy a $1000 or $2000 lens today and I'm very confident that 10 years from now I can still use that same lens on their latest and greatest camera body should I choose to upgrade.

I just don't have that confidence with Sony. Right now their big thing is their new E mount.. but lets be honest, they never really did throw that much support behind their older A mount. And I have no idea if their E mount will still be supported 5 or 10 years from now.. for all I know they'll come up with something new and more or less abandon the E mount.

So if your looking for a very portable system that will likely only have a very limited set of lenses and that lens set works for you, then yes maybe Sony might be worth a look.

But if you don't mind carrying a DSLR then I would strongly urge you to stick with either Canon or Nikon. You can get a ton of lenses for each, the used market is very strong for both, and all in all your looking at a lot less money for a lot more capability as a result.

Thanks for the response. So you don't see any need to switch? Also I was considering getting my own body and just sharing lenses.

No, not in my opinion. For me, it's more about the photographer and less about the hardware. I have two Canons, a T70 film and a SX60HS. I can take just as bad a shot with either. I also own many others and shoot them all. I get the most joy from film camera's and develop my own for what it's worth. I have a specific use for each one for the most part. Currently, my favorite camera is the Nikon FM sporting a 35-70 f/3.5 AIS. I am pretty fond of my Pentax K1000 and SP1000 as well. I am not thrilled with the T70 much because it is doesn't give me as much control.

I guess a lot depends on what you plan on doing with the camera. I prefered the Nikon system myself because I shoot a lot of stuff in lower lighting conditions and that's a place where Nikon has an edge.

However in most shooting situations to be honest the differences between Canon and Nikon really aren't that huge. Sony I don't really recommend unless your going mirrorless, wanting something light weight and don't mind having a very limited lens selection.

If everything your shooting you can shoot with say a 16-50mm lens and you really need the portability, then it might be a good option. But for the most part I don't recommend Sony because of their track record.

Sony has this history of coming up with ideas that sound really great - and then never really following through on them. With my Nikon I can buy a $1000 or $2000 lens today and I'm very confident that 10 years from now I can still use that same lens on their latest and greatest camera body should I choose to upgrade.

I just don't have that confidence with Sony. Right now their big thing is their new E mount.. but lets be honest, they never really did throw that much support behind their older A mount. And I have no idea if their E mount will still be support 5 or 10 years from now.. for all I know they'll come up with something new and more or less abandon the E mount.

So if your looking for a very portable system that will likely only have a very limited set of lenses and that lens set works for you, then yes maybe Sony might be worth a look.

But if you don't mind carrying a DSLR then I would strongly urge you to stick with either Canon or Nikon. You can get a ton of lenses for each, the used market is very strong for both, and all in all your looking at a lot less money for a lot more capability as a result.

Yeah I'd really rather stick with the big two. I guess my only concern is regretting not going to Nikon in two years when I had the chance. I know that I'm pretty far off from a camera holding me back. And a good Canon will probably never hold me back. But it just seems that Nikon may be starting to pull away from Canon in a few areas and i don't want to be heavily invested in Canon if that trend continues.

Yeah I'd really rather stick with the big two. I guess my only concern is regretting not going to Nikon in two years when I had the chance. I know that I'm pretty far off from a camera holding me back. And a good Canon will probably never hold me back. But it just seems that Nikon may be starting to pull away from Canon in a few areas and i don't want to be heavily invested in Canon if that trend continues.

Well if history is any indication it's a see-saw, always has been. Canon pulled ahead of Nikon for a while a few years back, then Nikon got it together and pulled ahead of Canon in some areas, I have little doubt Canon will rebound and start pulling ahead of Nikon in certain areas again...

Right now I think Nikon has the edge in better sensors, but recently it looks like Canon has realized that 18mp with limited dynamic range just isn't enough, so they've started updating their sensors to get more in line with Nikon, etc.

Me, like I said I'm a Nikon shooter so I'm sort of biased. I like not only the results I get but the way the camera is laid out - it's what I'm used too. I think that going from APS-C to Full frame, for example, is a bit easier on a Nikon. Better choices available for an upgrade path, at least for me because they have the features that interest me the most.

But I'm sure i fyou talked to a Canon shooter they would probably say much the same, that their Canon focuses on areas they care about more, such as say larger buffers for better continuous shooting, etc.

Really you can get fantastic results from either. So really it comes down to a simple question, do you think white lenses look silly?

Lol... ya.. going to get roughed up by the Canon folks for that one but couldn't resist... :)

Well if history is any indication it's a see-saw, always has been. Canon pulled ahead of Nikon for a while a few years back, then Nikon got it together and pulled ahead of Canon in some areas, I have little doubt Canon will rebound and start pulling ahead of Nikon in certain areas again...

Right now I think Nikon has the edge in better sensors, but recently it looks like Canon has realized that 18mp with limited dynamic range just isn't enough, so they've started updating their sensors to get more in line with Nikon, etc.

Me, like I said I'm a Nikon shooter so I'm sort of biased. I like not only the results I get but the way the camera is laid out - it's what I'm used too. I think that going from APS-C to Full frame, for example, is a bit easier on a Nikon. Better choices available for an upgrade path, at least for me because they have the features that interest me the most.

But I'm sure i fyou talked to a Canon shooter they would probably say much the same, that their Canon focuses on areas they care about more, such as say larger buffers for better continuous shooting, etc.

Really you can get fantastic results from either. So really it comes down to a simple question, do you think white lenses look silly?

Lol... ya.. going to get roughed up by the Canon folks for that one but couldn't resist... :)

Lol OK thanks. At this point either is more camera than i can use to full potential. And you're probably right about the see-saw effect. I'm sure in a year or whatever it will be different. I mainly just wanted to stick with the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

It's tough when you have such limited experience and don't really know which one you prefer.

PS: I kinda like the white lenses

The camera brand isn't the issue as you already stated. You can make professional level images with your gear and some experience. Don't worry about it. Go shoot some pictures.

The photo quality difference is negligible. As a hobbyist, it likely always will be. Working professionals may reach the limits, but the average person will do fine with either.

The lens selection varies a little.. but like everything else it goes back and forth. For years canon has has the king of the 70-200 pro lenses, but nikons newly released one is now on top. That's just how it goes.

Any advantage one brand has will go away and the tables will be turned within 5 years.

It really comes down to what you prefer the feel of in your hand. Go to a reputable camera shop and get your hands on the full line of each brand. Use the controls a little. Take some photos. Stick with the camera that you prefer the feel of and are more comfortable with.

OK that's kinda what I figured. Just needed to hear it from people more experienced than me I guess. I have the tendency to be kind of a gear nerd with everything I do. So something I have to be careful of.

I think I'll just start looking at lenses for now instead. Which opens a whole other can of worms.

Lol OK thanks. At this point either is more camera than i can use to full potential. And you're probably right about the see-saw effect. I'm sure in a year or whatever it will be different. I mainly just wanted to stick with the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

It's tough when you have such limited experience and don't really know which one you prefer.

PS: I kinda like the white lenses

Maybe the best ting to do would be to stop by a local camera shop, best buy, etc.. both you and your wife, and try out a Nikon. See what you think.

If you both really like the Nikon then it might be worth taking a look at. If she says, nope, want to stick with my Canon - well then probably best to stick with Canon.

For me the biggest differences between the two - the lowlight, and the higher MP sensor of the Nikons when compared to their canon equivalents. It's not a huge difference for the most part, but since I shoot a lot of telephoto and end up cropping quite often it's a feature that's important to me personally. If I were shooting stuff that didn't require cropping, well then the higher MP wouldn't really be that critical.

Well I'm still trying to decide exactly what kind of shooting I want to do. I really have no interest at this time in wildlife or sports. I'm really drawn more to street photography and maybe dabble in landscape. An of course I'm married and have a baby therefore portraiture at some level is a given. The baby seems to take up a lot of SD card space.

Well I'm still trying to decide exactly what kind of shooting I want to do. I really have no interest at this time in wildlife or sports. I'm really drawn more to street photography and maybe dabble in landscape. An of course I'm married and have a baby therefore portraiture at some level is a given. The baby seems to take up a lot of SD card space.

Either Canon or Nikon would work great, for all the above. So if you can stand the silly white lenses.. lol..

Either Canon or Nikon would work great, for all the above. So if you can stand the silly white lenses.. lol..

Lol yall know you're jealous of the white lenses

Most reactions

Back