Step down rings

Hock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So.. Im looking to get some nice filters in the foreseeable future. And of course the filter sizes for my size are all different 67mm, 55mm, 52mm, and I was reading that step down rings are the economical solution to this.. does any one have experience, good or bad with the these? either the massive sets, 82-42 or more specific 77mm to 67 etc.

I got a set that goes from 77 to 30 something, the main problem I've run into is that they get stuck together and can be pretty tricky to get apart.

Step-down rings, ones that allow a large lens to accept a small filter, very often cause vignetting problems. These should not be used without a careful check to see if they will work with your lenses. Generally when they do work they have only a modest size reduction.

Step-up rings, ones that allow large filters to fit smaller lenses, often work fine. Vignetting is very rare when using these to put oversized filters on smaller lenses.

In either case, avoid stacking them. The thin bands are difficult to separate.

Using step-up rings can be a good approach but they generally prevent the use of a proper lens hood.

As Dwig suggest, set up rings are better.
I used them for years on LF lens. I had a set for each lens so i wouldn't have the need to switch them around.

Ok.. sorry about that step up rings are what i am thinking about. No problems with those?

Do these step up rings get in the way if lens hoods?

Most reactions

Back