Step down rings

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a polarizer filter for my kit lens that is 52mm thread but advice from here says get bigger sizes filter and then step down.

I find a nice 77mm b+w polarizer I would want but I don't understand how step down rings work and also do they need a filter holder as well to put in the lens? I've noticed that certain ones say screw on filters and then others need a holder.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

A couple items
1 - yes, buying a larger filter, for your largest lens, is good at reducing costs.
If you have a 77mm lens in addition to 62, 52mm lenses then getting ONE large filter and using Step-Up rings (from the smaller 52/62 thread diameter to the larger 77) would save on total cost.

2 - You have to keep in mind, if you use a larger filter that your Lens Hood may not fit anymore when you use one.

= = =
Most of my lenses are 77mm, thus my wide range of filters is all 77, though I do have a few duplicates at other sizes.

For instance,
I also have a 72 lens of which I have a specific 72mm CPL & one ND2 filter for it. If I need more or other filters I then use a stepup ring.

For my 52mm lenses I actually have a couple ND and CPL specifically for them. But I also have a stepup ring so I can use the multitude of 77mm filters that I have.

For my 62, which I don't use filters much I just use a stepup ring.

= = =
Square filters are different. I have specific rings for each of my lens size.
1st you need a specific size ring to attach to the thread.
2nd you use the square filter holder which slides onto the #1 Ring
3rd the square filter you slide onto the holder. There are different size square filters and thus different size holders. Make sure you select the size holder that is needed for your lenses, and thus the size filters.

Some wide angle lenses with a bulbous lens element uses a adapter, then you can use a square filter holder only.

BTW - don't forget to compare the prices of the same filter in 52mm vs 77mm before making a decision.

Last edited:
Get a 5-gallon bucket, and when you need 2 gallons of water, put in bricks, so the 5-gallon bucket becomes a 2-gallon bucket. When you need 1 gallon of water for hand-washing, just use the big, 5-gallon bucket, but with simply LESS water! When you need a drink of water, take the 5-gallon bucket and fill it with 12 to 16 ounces of water. Fantastic!!! You need nothing except the largest bucket you will ever need! You can ADAPT it!!!

That's what step-rings from 77 to 52 is like...

It all sounds great! Need "only one", in "the largest size", and "you save money!"

Ok thank you, I think I pretty much get the gist of it now. Although when you say not being able to use the lens hood, I actually came upon one today while looking online for equipment. What does having a lens hood achieve?

Lens hood: improves image contrast by reducing stray light that hits the front element.

Lens hood: if soft material, prevents impacts from damaging the lens; keeps fingers away from front element; eliminates need for a "protective" filter; looks cool, according to some people. Prevents lens flares and ghosting in many situations; keeps stray fingers from getting into the image (mostly with wide-angle lenses).

in reference to the lens-hood
On my Tamron 150-600 I grabbed it quickly without the lens hood before. NOTE - the outer element is right at the edge of the lens.
I Took some quick shots on a super bright day. The image SOOC had their colors washed out.

Went back out with the lens hood and tested and colors were okay (duplicated the angle to the sun, etc). The lens element is right at the end of the lens it self, versus other lenses which may be further inside with it's own light baffle before you add a lens hood.

Also With the stepup/stepdown rings
Using a stepup/stepdown ring may cause vignetting.
Tall (and thin) filters carriers may also cause vignetting.

But, for instance when I take photos of the sun on my 150-600 I use a Step-DOWN ring from 95mm to 77mm because sun Filters are massively expensive at 95 vs 77. And since I only need the center of the image anyways it doesn't matter. The lens hood still fits too.

I don't think anyone addressed the filter holder question. You can buy screw in filters or filter sets usually made of plastic that all fit into a common holder. In the digital age, there aren't many filters required since most of that is done in the computer. Buy a 77mm screw in circular polarier and the necessary step down rings to address the filter sizes your lenses need. You shouldn't need much else. I like lens hoods so I opt for separate filters in the various sizes but it certainly isn't necessary.

astroNikon said:
in reference to the lens-hood
On my Tamron 150-600 I grabbed it quickly without the lens hood before. NOTE - the outer element is right at the edge of the lens.
I Took some quick shots on a super bright day. The image SOOC had their colors washed out.

Went back out with the lens hood and tested and colors were okay (duplicated the angle to the sun, etc). The lens element is right at the end of the lens it self, versus other lenses which may be further inside with it's own light baffle before you add a lens hood.

Also With the stepup/stepdown rings
Using a stepup/stepdown ring may cause vignetting.
Tall (and thin) filters carriers may also cause vignetting.

But, for instance when I take photos of the sun on my 150-600 I use a Step-DOWN ring from 95mm to 77mm because sun Filters are massively expensive at 95 vs 77. And since I only need the center of the image anyways it doesn't matter. The lens hood still fits too.

I bolded the part that references how a lens hood can improve image quality...on "some" lens designs, the front element really,really NEEDS a lens hood/lens shade on in outdoor scenarios.

One of the biggest PITA things is having a 77mm filter on the front of a lens, then having a 2-inch, ginormous protruding "lip" of step-ring and polarizer on the front of the lens...it catches and snags on everything...if you DROP the camera and lens combo, you might very well have a bad impact, right on the front of the filter threads, with plenty of leverage due to the protruding rim of step-ring and filter. Although unlikely, it is a possibility.

On some lenses, like Nikon's newer super-tele zooms, the lens hood is NOT made of metal, and for a reason: it acts like an impact absorber when the lens is dropped...the 200-500 is a great example...when dropped, the snap-on hood softens the blow, and can leave the lens un-harmed.

I might personally just opt for separate filters for different sized lens, seems less complicated in my head right now and if it also allows for the hoods sounds like the better option. I don't think I'll be getting bigger sized lenses anytime soon, most of the ones I'm planning on getting for starters seem to all have 52mm thread. Then that way I can focus on getting a polarizer plus a ND filter as well.

Most reactions

Back