Sticker shock, photography hobby is expensive, $20,000 lens??

More so for the uninitiated - I purchased my camera with 2 lenses about 3 years ago .. the 18-50 IS and the 70-300 non-is ... I mentioned that I'd like to have
the Stablilzed 70-300 and my wife asked me how much it was.... I said about $450 and she almost fell over..... "$450 ???? You only spent
about $800 for the whole package .... now you want ONE lens for $450 ??????? - What's it made of .. .Gold ??"

Little did she know - a couple of years later, and a homeowners rider for over $5K .... hehehehe

r

Just remember. Photographers take awesome pictures, not the equipment.

One can spend $2,000 on gear and be a full-time professional, and one can spend $200,000 on gear and it's just a hobby.

How many people spend moo-koo bucks on a snowmobile, or a jet-ski, or a boat........ and they don't snowmobile, jet-ski or drive a boat for a living?

As expensive as the photography hobby can be, it's still much cheaper than my old drug habits used to be. If I knew then what I know now...........

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As expensive as the photography hobby can be, it's still much cheaper than my old drug habits used to be. If I knew then what I know now...........

:er: Well....um...I'm glad you licked the drug habit for photography!

meh - cost is relative... All hobbies are expensive, that's why they're hobbies.

A lot of people I know fly as a hobby, or build race cars. Try that if you think photography is expensive.

manaheim said:
I'm 66.6% divine.

:lol:

:)

Lol I guess I just became divine ;) my 14-24 2.8 finally got here last week .... Now I have all three! Most if the pros i know rent when it comes to the lenses over $10 grand. I have been a pro for over 8 years and I can say the equipment doesn't make the difference. That said ..... It's an addiction! I always have another lens or body in my sights!
I learned to not let my students try my equip though... ;) Then they either fall in love and become obsessed with getting their own or give the equipment the credit not the photographer and turn into gear heads :(

Last edited:
gee, have none of you guys clicked onto the link I provided? Your really missing out on a good laugh. Not to mention the reason we all spend so much money on a lens.

Go back up to the top of the page and click on the link, if you want the answer to all your photogaphy needs. It truly is hilarious stuff. It's just a link to amazon, if your a little scared of going to links. No harm, no virus, just the answers to your $20,000.00 lens.

Of course the more specialized the photography you get into, the greater the cost of the gear. Example: try photographing the eye of an ant or a grain of pollen with a kit lens. Can't be done.

And birding? Well, you know the rest.

gee, have none of you guys clicked onto the link I provided? Your really missing out on a good laugh. Not to mention the reason we all spend so much money on a lens.

Go back up to the top of the page and click on the link, if you want the answer to all your photogaphy needs. It truly is hilarious stuff. It's just a link to amazon, if your a little scared of going to links. No harm, no virus, just the answers to your $20,000.00 lens.

Will click on it now, thank you for the link.

Most reactions

Back