Sticky Back on F100

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if other Nikon film cameras have this problem but I recently received a used F100 with a very sticky back. I've read that this may be some of the adhesive coming through - not sure but that seems likely.

To clean the back, I used Everclear, a very pure isopropanol alcohol and some cotton gun cleaning patches. I think other high concentration alcohols would work but this is what I had on hand (don't ask, that's a story for another day).

After cleaning - which took some effort - I noticed a white coating on the camera back. I put a very small amount of gun oil (Rem oil) on a clean patch and gently rubbed it in.

The end result is a nice clean camera with no coronavirus, no sticky residue and no white coating. Hope this helps, now I'm off to film test my "new" F100.

My N90s has that issue to a very high degree. The Sticky issue is Very common in the Nikons from the N90 to the F-100 generation. When Nikon changed their surface covering, they unknowingly opened a can of worms. As with so many things, the future consequences were unknown at the time of adoption. Although that type of body covering seemed good for the first decade, the covering became sticky after about 10-15 years.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I might have to do the Everclear and Gun oil treatment on my N90s and also on my D70 body.

My N90s has that issue to a very high degree. The Sticky issue is Very common in the Nikons from the N90 to the F-100 generation. When Nikon changed their surface covering, they unknowingly opened a can of worms. As with so many things, the future consequences were unknown at the time of adoption. Although that type of body covering seemed good for the first decade, the covering became sticky after about 10-15 years.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I might have to do the Everclear and Gun oil treatment on my N90s and also on my D70 body.

Glad to help. Just be careful to use a minimum amount of oil - for obvious reasons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back