Still finding MORE capabilites of pocketwizards

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't believe the TT1/TT5 will calibrate sync speed from my camera to my monolights. So far I'm syncing at 1/800th, and taking a break from "tuning" on the computer. Outdoor shooting just took on a whole new meaning putting subject in the shade, BRIGHT setting on the light and super-fast shutter.

Note this is NOT the TTL multi-flash gig that decreases light and drains strobe batteries, this is the PWs syncing true manual lighting.

The friend who showed me this said he can sync his monolight up to 1/2000th. I'm going back and forth shooting and then calibrating on the computer, but 1/800th has me excited already.

I know the goo-roos here probably already knew about this feature, but as a student nooB I didn't!

In case you're not familiar here is the menu that adjusts for optimum shutter speed, although the latest firmware has more options:

4358_pw135_hypersync.jpg

Very cool - I'm still working my way through my bag of Plus IIs which aren't quite that exciting unfortunately.

PW's rock, don't they!

This must be some form of high speed sync, i.e. multiple flashes. The maximum sync speed is predominantly determined by the camera's shutter, and unless you're using a camera with an electronic shutter of some kind, you won't typically be able to sync faster than about 1/250s without multiple flashes. There is nothing really wrong with high speed sync, except it won't help freeze motion like a single flash can. It is still good for blocking ambient light and using flash in bright conditions.

This must be some form of high speed sync, i.e. multiple flashes. The maximum sync speed is predominantly determined by the camera's shutter, and unless you're using a camera with an electronic shutter of some kind, you won't typically be able to sync faster than about 1/250s without multiple flashes. There is nothing really wrong with high speed sync, except it won't help freeze motion like a single flash can. It is still good for blocking ambient light and using flash in bright conditions.

It's not. That would mean the PW would have to fire the monolights multiple times in one exposure and even when you're not on battery power, they're not going to recycle that fast if you're not powered down next to nothing. PW introduced this feature with the TT series where is would move when the flash fired in order to get it to cover the entire frame of the exposure. The trick is that it doesn't work the same with all cameras. I believe people messing with the timing on the 5D MKII could only get it to about 1/250 before that black bar started showing.

Most reactions

Back