still learning. UMD College Park shots. C&C

brianyi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Day 3 with my first DLSR and still learning. Kept reading the book and got even more familiar with my camera. Let me know what you guys think. Messed around with the tint, hue and saturation on photoshop.
mckeldinxp.jpg

campussidewalk.jpg

quad.jpg

quad2.jpg

try shooting during the day

try shooting during the day

While I agree, would you at least care to explain why the OP should shoot under different conditions so that they can better understand.

The second and last pictures, to me, seems the most interesting but the lens flare in the last kills it. Something that needs to be taken into consideration when shooting at night around street lamps n such is that if they're to the side, you should use a lens hood if you have one or at least block the light with your hand to minimize flare. Just my $.02

Almost forgot, longer shutter speed > jacking up ISO imo

Last edited:
The last one was me trying to hurry up and get the shot. i was laying on the ground looking through the viewfinder with a shutter speed of about 3 seconds. iso was set at 800.

For long exposure night shots you should try to keep the ISO low to keep the noise levels to a minimum. Noise will really kill detail in your shots.

Were you using a tripod? From the shutter speeds shown in the exif it looks like you were.

And if you use a higher f/stop value (smaller aperture opening) like f/11 - f/16 you'll get a nice starburst pattern from the streetlights instead of just being blobs of light.

I like the compositions in the last two shots. The second shot has potential but the rubbish can and the empty black area of the top reduce the visual impact for me. Try this shot again but maybe from a lower point of view. Try it with the camera in the portrait orientation too.

thanks, i need to buy myself a decent tripod. i set the camera on a ledge and kinda layed next to it for a good 10 seconds altogether to get a decent shot.

I'll try these night shots again tomorrow and maybe some day time shots as well. I dont have class today. off to ritz for a lens hood and to see if I wont that t1i in that sweepstakes I've enetered :p

Most reactions

Back