Still life

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
was a bit bored tonight so took a couple of simple still life shots to pass the time. My first post in the B&W forum too :thumbup:

garlic2small.jpg

slight sepia on this, does that still count as B&W? :)

hehehehe - ya that counts as black and white.

Awesome textures in this photo. Not only have you got the grainy table, and the flaky garlic and onions - but the photo itself is grainy too which I think is awesome here.

Something bothers me about the blurry onion. I keep looking at it although I 'want' to keep looking at the garlic. Maybe it's the way the onion is pointing that draws my attention up there. Either way, for a still life it's interesting.

thanks meysha

I like a bit of grain in a photograph every now and again, too many ultra sharp photos these days. i wanted something rustic to match the flaky veg :)

I know what you mean about the onion in the background. I think the depth of field might have been a bit to shallow, it's made it a bit distracting because it blurred, maybe if i'd turned it inwards to face the camera it would have worked better

Would you be able to explain what you mean by 'nicer exposure' please?

Thanks.

The exposure looks fine on my monitor here - there seem to be a good range of tones across the image. Nice result there for me.

maybe it's not the exposure but to me the image looks flat.. more contrast would help perhaps. i think the lighting is what may be making it flat. hmph. maybe it's just me. the lighting looks like normal above lighting. i bet light hitting it from the side only to create better form and dimension would jazz this up. yeap, that's it.

thanks, wil bare it all in mind next time

Maybe it's my monitor, as it already looks quite dark on my screen. If i boost the contrast more it starts clipping the shadows.

BTW feel free to edit this one if it helps

thanks

Tried the same myself. Even using autocontrast, gives it a pleasing lift. A touch more sepia is nice too.

I like the original and the edit, but I think cropping off about 1/3 of the onion in the back would solve the problem.

i can barely notice the difference with the edited 'Scribes, it's very subtle. Is this a contrast boost that you did?

yes that and only that but to me at least it makes the objects a little more seperated from the background. Like I said it's up to you to decide if it's better or not. I thought that is what he meant be a different exposure. .... If you look at the table in the shadow of the onion on the left you will see a difference in detail I think in the slightly higher contrast model. Anyway just a slight bump in contrast is all I did to it.

I have no real opinion about it to be honest. I do a lot of funky still life so this subject matter is not something Im comfortable with. It is a nice composition in my opinion other than that I don't really have an opinion.

Most reactions

Back