Stinkin advisement

Well, what the heck. Here's my thoughts.

Since I'm a jazz musician, I'll give you another comparison. Jazz music, like photography, has a history, a tradition. It was born out of the combination of african rhythms, and early American blues music, and European Classical music. The music has evolved a lot over the last 100 years, as has photography. I see a lot of people today learning to play jazz, and ignoring the history of it, and it shows in their playing. It lacks depth. I can always hear it when a musican plays and he really knows how to play the blues. It gives a whole nother level of depth to the music. And if a person is well versed in classical music, it's another layer.

So, I think yes, traditional darkroom processes should be learned. All aspects of photography should be learned. You should have respect for the history of photograhpy and it's processes, because it shapes every inch of what is has become, and I think it would be ignorant to overlook that. There would be no digital photography without film photography. There would be no Adobe Photoshop without a darkroom.

Yes you should learn digital also, and in the end, probably spend more time on that than anything else, because that's where the technology is now, and yes, that is what people want to see, at least in commercial photography. And like has been said, it's a question of money for these schools, and also, who can they find to teach it? It's very cutting edge stuff, that a lot of photographers have been unwilling to learn. If you look on the internet, there's really only a handful of real digital "gurus", ie, experts in the tools of digital photography, from the cameras, to the software, and all the tips and tricks.

Until it becomes more established, you aren't going to find great digital programs at colleges I don't think. It's still in its infancy, in comparsion to photography as a whole. In the meantime, learn as much as you can about photography at school. It can only improve your digital photography, and when it comes to software, get a photoshop book, and take some graphic design courses. You'll want to know how to do that anyway. What a lethal combination. A graphic designer/photographer. Shoot all of your own stock, make all the money. Nothin wrong with that.

Amanda,
Have your meeting with the dean. Try to get a photog prof in. But have a back up plan.
This advisor may very well be a jack*** but he seems to be aware of more than you as far as the future of the school. His advice to attend another school for photography isnt about to land him in quick advancement if the program was intended to continue. Higher education is a business like any other... if not more cut throat. Schools want to maximize their attendance rates and make more profit. To update a photo dept thats been lacking requires funds that are oftened viewed as 'better put elsewhere' (including graphic design). It sucks, but there it is.
To be a photographer professionally doesnt require formal education. But to educate photographers requires vast amounts of expensive equipment that needs pretty regular replacement. many schools are realizing that they cant keep up.
After your attempts to change funding and policy, realize that if you do make a difference, its not likely to be during your reign at the school. Consider biting the bullet and finding a different school along with a pile of student debt or put together a good portfolio and branch out to the world of photographers assistants.
Good Luck.

Wow - what a post.

I don't really need to add to the three questions, as they've been answered in pretty much every way already!

I will say that wherever you go, there will always be at least one git who is awkward, nasty or who you just don't get on with - whether it's family, university or accommodation. A cool head and a fine sense of humour are very effective when they are in a position of authority.

As a photographer, you'll find these people at work as well - whether a security guard outside a building or a nasty relative at a wedding. They may well be correct some of the time, but it's usually the manner in which they deal with you that causes the problem. Stay cool and use sarcasm when wit runs out.

I'm not a fan of formal further education for modern things such as digital imaging and computers. I left University whilst studying Computing because the syllabus wasn't any use to me. Sadly when I chose the course I was 17 and didn't really understand what the options meant.

University computing at Sussex taught out-dated "fundamentals" which were good for only one thing - making you a programmer. I already knew I wanted to be more involved with Networks and Systems Analysis, helping and teaching people, designing and creating computer systems - not a damn code monkey, so perhaps our stories are similar? I wasn't afraid to say what I wanted, and lots of older and wiser people told me I was wrong.

I do occasionally speak to some of my ex-classmates, who are all now very successful senior programmers stuck on medium(ish) IT salaries. Seven years of being a mushroom has erradicated any hope of social skill from them and they now have no possibility of proceeding into management as they haven't spoken to a person F-T-F for years. In short they will be there until they can't keep up with the technology any more.

After ten years of hard work, I progressed to go-it-alone business consultancy and find it challenging and fun. It also happens to pay about three times as much as a senior programming role which is a good thing. It also gives me the flexibility to pursue my real life which revolves around fast cars, golf and of course - photography.

Good luck with your options.

Rob

Great responses everyone!

Just for an update I met with the dean an hour ago, and he told me that the professor was way off about the school, and that they have every intent of hiring someone, just a lack of response. He said that the professor was wrong to send students away, and that they would have a talk about it. As far as his teaching was concerned the dean was aware of problems already, and they are attempting to work on them, but he wasn't aware to the extent that things have escalated to this last semester. I felt that it was a productive meeting, and that hopefully some good will come of it.

As far as the color darkroom goes, lately people have been saying that everything is breaking, and the teacher is saying they have no way to fix these things, so it may run it's course soon...Not sure what will happen, but my guess is that classes will be a mix of black and white darkroom with as much digital as the new teacher knows, or so that's what the rumors are seeming to be.

I do like the idea of really working myself even more on photoshop and programs, especially this summer before the classes...right now I've been practicing by finding tutorials and this forum for help. What book/s would you suggest Matt, or anyone else for that matter? I'm working with PS 5.5 so something simliar to that would be helpful, but the school uses PS 7 I believe.

I think that when I first posted this it was simply more venting than anything, and now seems to be a meaningful convestation IMO, so thanks to all that have replied, and again sorry for taking things in the wrong contexts earlier. It was more from frustration that anything, so please don't take offense to what's been said :)

I still have the same viewpoint, but with a broder spectrum. I definitely see more of a reason for other art courses, even though I may suck at them (life drawing) :lol:

I am a photojournalist and do only digital (email my shots actually - I haven't seen the inside of my editor's office in the 2 years I've been with that paper).

B&W darkroom gives you a basic understanding of the process. (yes, I have done B&W darkroom work in college - and no I haven't used it since) Color darkroom? That's what professional labs are for...and even 1 hr hacks can usually get negatives right with today's machinery!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back