Stop! C&C please

BCW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at my kid's soccer practice yesterday and was taking some photos that had nothing to do with soccer. This is my first post with my new camera (D80.) Am I on the right track?
4558464091_ec7dfe99e4_o.jpg

It's not bad but it's not the most interesting angle or composition. I'm not sure as to how you could have improved that because I don't know what the rest of the area looks like and I generally blow my composition also..

Also the slight tilt (road, poles) gives me an uneasy feeling.

I think it might have looked kinda cool straight on, more of the gate included with a really shallow depth of field.

Was that needed Cloudwalker? Did that make ya feel good about yourself?
Geez...

Thanks for the input everyone else.

idk how to fix it, but i dont think it is that interesting

I don't think it is that interesting. I don't mean that as an insult. I just think there is nothing unique about it. Its just a random pristine stopsign. Maybe if it was like all rusted up, or had shotgun holes in it or something, it would have some character. But even in that case, I would have chose a slightly better angle. Doesn't have to be head on, but you went a little too far to the side I think and the sign ( your subject ) is squished up too much. Also I would try blurring the background more since that also doesn't add to the picture at all.

As for your comment about "on the right track" I assume you mean for taking good pictures, but thats really half personal taste and the other half technical know how. I would say this. ( something I have been trying to work on more and more myself. ) Don't force a shot. If something jumps out at you as being cool or unique, take the shot. Or for action, you have to let things unfold and anticipate things, not force them. Then they seem contrived. It seems to me that you were itching to bust out your new camera, had no inspiration for anything to shoot, so instead decided to shoot a random boring object and thought that if you angled it, it would look artsy. Again, I don't mean this as an insult, I have done that plenty of times myself, just food for thought next time you are out shooting.

I don't think it is that interesting. I don't mean that as an insult. I just think there is nothing unique about it. Its just a random pristine stopsign. Maybe if it was like all rusted up, or had shotgun holes in it or something, it would have some character. But even in that case, I would have chose a slightly better angle. Doesn't have to be head on, but you went a little too far to the side I think and the sign ( your subject ) is squished up too much. Also I would try blurring the background more since that also doesn't add to the picture at all.

As for your comment about "on the right track" I assume you mean for taking good pictures, but thats really half personal taste and the other half technical know how. I would say this. ( something I have been trying to work on more and more myself. ) Don't force a shot. If something jumps out at you as being cool or unique, take the shot. Or for action, you have to let things unfold and anticipate things, not force them. Then they seem contrived. It seems to me that you were itching to bust out your new camera, had no inspiration for anything to shoot, so instead decided to shoot a random boring object and thought that if you angled it, it would look artsy. Again, I don't mean this as an insult, I have done that plenty of times myself, just food for thought next time you are out shooting.

Absolutely, positively guilty as charged! Thanks for the feedback!

Was that needed Cloudwalker? Did that make ya feel good about yourself?
Geez...

Thanks for the input everyone else.

Wow, i would turn the sensitivity down a bit there. I don't even see what cloud said as being negative or insulting at all.

As for the photo, yes... it is a stop sign. yes it seems to be in focus and properly exposed. With an aperture of 7.1, 1/50s shutter, and ISO of 250; I am guessing you were shooting in full auto. For a beginner, this is fine- it allows you more brain power to concentrate on composure (this is where I think you fell short) What made this stop sign interesting to you? Answer that internally, and then make us see your vision in the photo.

You were at your sons soccer practice with your shiny new D80... did you happen get any pictures of him playing/practicing? Those are the shots I would much rather see, action shots.

p!nK

I am guessing you were shooting in full auto.

Exif says aperture priority. I think if you're going to do an artsy shot and have a min to compose and setup you should take the shot in manual. Av and Tv are there more for faced paced shooting, where you don't exactly get to turn the dials before and after every shot.

I think if you're going to do an artsy shot and have a min to compose and setup you should take the shot in manual. Av and Tv are there more for faced paced shooting, where you don't exactly get to turn the dials before and after every shot.

I disagree, I think you can come up with artsy shots in either of these modes, just not 'full manual'. Of course, Manual has its times when you want to override certain settings and whatnot, but I wouldn't say that it isn't photography or artsy if it's not done in Manual.

Well stated.

What I also do when I see something that just does not click in my mind but comes up way deep down in the back of my mind....take my picture, take my picture, take my picture
I uncontrolably press the shutter button. I go home, open the shot in my computer and cheerfully delete it, knowing my other mediocre shots look so much better.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back