I don't think it is that interesting. I don't mean that as an insult. I just think there is nothing unique about it. Its just a random pristine stopsign. Maybe if it was like all rusted up, or had shotgun holes in it or something, it would have some character. But even in that case, I would have chose a slightly better angle. Doesn't have to be head on, but you went a little too far to the side I think and the sign ( your subject ) is squished up too much. Also I would try blurring the background more since that also doesn't add to the picture at all.
As for your comment about "on the right track" I assume you mean for taking good pictures, but thats really half personal taste and the other half technical know how. I would say this. ( something I have been trying to work on more and more myself. ) Don't force a shot. If something jumps out at you as being cool or unique, take the shot. Or for action, you have to let things unfold and anticipate things, not force them. Then they seem contrived. It seems to me that you were itching to bust out your new camera, had no inspiration for anything to shoot, so instead decided to shoot a random boring object and thought that if you angled it, it would look artsy. Again, I don't mean this as an insult, I have done that plenty of times myself, just food for thought next time you are out shooting.