stop me from buying another contax g2

grainybear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
why do i keep coming back to this camera? i don’t NEED it… i have plenty of cameras already… and i’ve already owned & sold one… the viewfinder is obscenely small… the autofocus is hit & miss… & although i don’t buy into the nonsense about it being non-repairable, i do know that if nippon in new york does have to repair it, it’s not going to be cheap… prices keep going up… and the main reason i sold it to begin with was because i was sick of half of my images coming back out of focus… probably partly operator error & partly camera issue… but the ones that did come back in focus… damn they’re nice… but is a 50/50 hit rate acceptable with film prices where they are?… i know all of this… all signs point to “don’t waste your money”… so why do i spend an hour a day looking at them on ebay… why do i keep coming back to this beautiful sexy unreliable flawed camera with it’s amazing lenses? somebody slap some sense into me

Because it's a Contax...

And I'n not going to discourage someone from buying film cameras!

Last edited:
all logic tells me i should not want it… but i really do want it… i have too many cameras already… it makes no sense to buy one… but i can’t stop obsessing over it 😂

Look for a Contax G2 12 step group--"Hi, my name is Qy-420 and I'm a Contax junkie." You know the drill.

Seriously, look into the Fuji X-100 series cameras. Not film, granted, but the closest you'll find today.

Look for a Contax G2 12 step group--"Hi, my name is Qy-420 and I'm a Contax junkie." You know the drill.

Seriously, look into the Fuji X-100 series cameras. Not film, granted, but the closest you'll find today.
ha! i do need a camera junkie support group lol… i have an obscene amount of film cameras… it’s seriously a problem lol… i don’t do a lot with digital but the few digital cameras i do have are all fuji… tried leica m9, m10-p, q2, a few ricoh gr’s… but ended up only sticking with a couple of fujis… including the x100v… for a digital camera i absolutely love it… & you’re right… the x100v & x-pro3 both have major contax g2 vibes… great camera

ha! i do need a camera junkie support group lol… i have an obscene amount of film cameras… it’s seriously a problem lol… i don’t do a lot with digital but the few digital cameras i do have are all fuji… tried leica m9, m10-p, q2, a few ricoh gr’s… but ended up only sticking with a couple of fujis… including the x100v… for a digital camera i absolutely love it… & you’re right… the x100v & x-pro3 both have major contax g2 vibes… great camera
Brother-in-law had a G2 dependency but finally kicked after blowing some serious $$$ on non-repairs. Great compact system but actually not all that well-made apart from the glass.

Fuji was very sensitive to the appeal of classic rangefinders when its somewhat eccentric designers cooked up the X-Pro and X-100. Same went for the classic SLR DNA found in the 2014 X-T1.

From 2011:

Brother-in-law had a G2 dependency but finally kicked after blowing some serious $$$ on non-repairs. Great compact system but actually not all that well-made apart from the glass.

Fuji was very sensitive to the appeal of classic rangefinders when its somewhat eccentric designers cooked up the X-Pro and X-100. Same went for the classic SLR DNA found in the 2014 X-T1.

From 2011:

that’s a super interesting article… i enjoyed that… thank you for sharing

Knowing it’s a rangefinder camera is enough for me not to buy it. Never understood the appeal of them. I do have a Canon rangefinder.

appreciate all the replies… but the pull from the g2 sucked me back in… pulled the trigger on a minty set with 3 lenses last night… okay… so that’s it lol… i’m done… i’m not buying ANY MORE cameras… just like i'm never drinking again 😂

appreciate all the replies… but the pull from the g2 sucked me back in… pulled the trigger on a minty set with 3 lenses last night… okay… so that’s it lol… i’m done… i’m not buying ANY MORE cameras… just like i'm never drinking again 😂
Look, you're either in recovery or denial with this stuff. Shelve the guilt and enjoy.

... like people that have certain Jeep models aren't going to do any more modifications to them. ;) Don't forget to share the photos.

I've always wanted a Contax, but either a Contaflex TLR, or a Contax S or D, or maybe a Contax III with a post WWII Sonnar f1.5 50mm lens.

Realistically if I was buying a more modern Contax it would be the 645 AF. I rarely shoot 35mm these days, I'm mostly an LF photographer but do also shoot 6x6 with a couple of Rolleiflex cameras, just sold my Yashicamat 124, and will be selling my MPP Micrcord. I like the 645 format and have an ageing pair Mamiya 645 cameras, which get used for commercial shoots.

Ian

Argumentative posts deleted. A reminder to all to keep it friendly; sometimes it best to just pass a thread rather than risk a time-out. No more warnings.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back