Storage of old images

My personal option would be to build a computer to use as network attached storage and put it on raid 5 I think it is where everything written to one hard drive is cloned to the other(s) (ask your local computer geek if this idea.

Actually, the method you choose today is less important than the decision to make perpetual backups. The media of choice will change. Plan on migrating to different media on a 5-10 year basis, it's the nature of the beast.

In 30 years of DP/IS/IT/CS (and every other computing acronym du jour), I've seen preferred "permanent" storage media change permanently several times. Tape to HDD to CD to DVD and back & forth as they compete for durability & capacity.

Just be glad you didn't invest too much in Zip drives... ;)

Just be glad you didn't invest too much in Zip drives... ;)

A few years back, a client gave me 2 of his 100mb ZIP drives in serial connector format. About as reliable as a freaking 5-1/4 inch floppy!

that is actually the best idea...but i would say 90% of the people here don't know what raid5 with striping is...

and they would really have no reason to unless they are managing a data center :wink:

My personal option would be to build a computer to use as network attached storage and put it on raid 5 I think it is where everything written to one hard drive is cloned to the other(s) (ask your local computer geek if this idea.

a good 500gb (plenty) external hd for $100 will work wonders. they're faster, more convenient, easier to search photos, etc

The life span for DVD/CD media quoted in several of the above posts is a little misleading. The typical burned disk only has a life span of 10-25% that of a program disk or commercial DVD movie. Cheap media with critical data burned on it may only last a few years, not decades. Even the best archival disks I would not trust past 10 years or so. That is most likely a moot point though. In 10 years, our DVD's will go the way of the 5 1/4" SS floppy drive. We will need to re-archive all data to keep a current format.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back