Storage workflow

Liothomas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

As my portable hard drives are a running short in storage I'm looking for a new one to sit on my desktop

I heard Drobo made good ones?
What is your storage solution & the workflow?

Thx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I use 3 storage solutions. For my "working drive" I have an internal 2TB drive. I also have a Buffalo NAS I picked up for about 200 bucks from New Egg, refurbed. It has 2 2TB drives in it. I use the internal drive because editing images in Lightroom directly from the NAS is pretty slow, and I'm not using wireless. I use an application called GoodSync that backs up my internal drive right to my NAS. I guess backing up isn't the right word, it syncs up in real time. Every time I make a change to my internal drive, it mirrors it on the NAS. The NAS has RAID mirroring setup on it, just in case one of those drives fails. And for an extra layer, I backup the NAS to my website storage, so I have them off site. I may be a little paranoid, but it works for me.

I use an external hard drive. It backs up daily. Anything very important I use a flash drive to save to or burn on DVD.

Also, anything over 6 months I go through and burn a disk to get it off my computer.

I have a Drobo, with 8tb. I also have a 3tb external, was $99 or $105... Buy three of these ( the external) and rotate, store one at work. Drobo slow, it bunt up a drive, I had to start over. I previously had a hp media server with 8tb... Biggest piece of junk, could not keep it operating more than a month or two at a time. Keep it simple, the external are cheap, relatively fast. Muc less headache. JD

I have a Westgate 2TB external drive. I purchased the waterproof case in addition to the drive. I have my doubts about its water resistance, but it's heavily padded. The proprietary USB cable has caused me some grief. I am happy with the product besides that and chalk the purchase up to knee-jerk, tangible satisfaction.

It was probably over priced but intrinsically, it serves its purpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back