Storm Cell 04/02/07 I

I like the HDR but there is a lot of ghosting in the middle where the white clouds are bulging down. I guess this is inevitable when the clouds must have been moving quite a distance between shots?
#4 is a lovely shot. Hard to believe it's the same scene when it looks so calm.
#3 has the potential to be my favorite. Did you get out of the car and take any other shots of this eerie formation?

All told, I'm very envious. We are either having flat/grey or clear/blue. Would be nice to see a cumulus once in a while.

Well here's an example of what that cloud looked like. I say example because I like an idiot... I didn't get the right side of it hence I copied part of the left side to complete the storm cell. However, this looks pretty darn close to what it actually did. (click for a bigger picture).

O M G!!! That is insane. What day was this, and where? Once I get this info, can I share these with a weather fourm I belong to? WOW. They are spectacular. And Lafoto, I havent stopped taking pictures of storms. There just hasnt been any. Storm season is just around the corner, and I will be flooding the gates with pics again.

Doug Raflik aka
wxnut

O M G!!! That is insane. What day was this, and where? Once I get this info, can I share these with a weather fourm I belong to? WOW. They are spectacular. And Lafoto, I havent stopped taking pictures of storms. There just hasnt been any. Storm season is just around the corner, and I will be flooding the gates with pics again.

Doug Raflik aka
wxnut

Ummm... probably as I was taking that last picture that you see here this storm was just north of Ogallala. I'm going to sound stupid compared to you and storm terms so I'll leave most of that out, but I don't think that it was a supercell because I didn't see any rotation. If you can from any of my pictures that I have taken please let me know so that I can better look out for it next time.
I don't mind if you share them with a forum as long as I'm allowd to check this forum out for myself. I can't wait to see some more of yours. You pictures that I saw in the net were the very ones that have inspired me to take up photography. Is there any way you could supply me with some info about storm chasing?

All right. I have to wait 48 hours after the event has passed to discuss it in the area of the fourm I want to, so I will try to post the pics tomorrow night, and ask if anyone was around that storm. I looked at the logs for that day and no tornados were reported, though another chaser has pictures of the view from under the updraft of a tornado warned storm in that area, so it could have been rotating.

The definition of a supercell is a long lived rotating updraft, so I can not determine if it was a supercell by pictures. Regardless, it is a VERY powerful updraft. That I can tell. What we are seeing in the first picture is a very thick, sharp edged, and probably back sheared anvil. It looks like you didnt get close to the "dangerous" part of the storms by your pictures. The last picture posted (5) while it looks intimidating, is just mammatus on the underside of the anvil. The anvil is the highest part of the storm. I do not see the updraft base anywhere near you. This is not a bad thing if you are looking for great pictures. You obviously got that, but if you want tornados and other low level features of the storm, you need to be able to get to the updraft base.

If this is the info you need, I can help you with that.

All right. I have to wait 48 hours after the event has passed to discuss it in the area of the fourm I want to, so I will try to post the pics tomorrow night, and ask if anyone was around that storm. I looked at the logs for that day and no tornados were reported, though another chaser has pictures of the view from under the updraft of a tornado warned storm in that area, so it could have been rotating.

The definition of a supercell is a long lived rotating updraft, so I can not determine if it was a supercell by pictures. Regardless, it is a VERY powerful updraft. That I can tell. What we are seeing in the first picture is a very thick, sharp edged, and probably back sheared anvil. It looks like you didnt get close to the "dangerous" part of the storms by your pictures. The last picture posted (5) while it looks intimidating, is just mammatus on the underside of the anvil. The anvil is the highest part of the storm. I do not see the updraft base anywhere near you. This is not a bad thing if you are looking for great pictures. You obviously got that, but if you want tornados and other low level features of the storm, you need to be able to get to the updraft base.

If this is the info you need, I can help you with that.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I know I wasn't near any dangerous parts those were quite a bit north of me, because by time I got to Ogallala this storm was quite a bit more north of me. I would have had to drive another 1 hour or more to get to it (I might have a picture of the low part of the cloud and a possible updraft but it's quite aways north of me, I'll see what I can do about getting a picture).

Lucky you! I never come across cool cloud formations like those!

Lucky you! I never come across cool cloud formations like those!

Well if you live anywhere between CO and OH there is a good chance you would be able to see something like this in the summer time. I'm not sure of any place overseas that has this type of weather.

Most reactions

Back