Storm Cell 04/02/07 I

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not had the time to get all of the pictures edited and proccessed, but here is the beginning of my outing today.

1. I was playing frisbe golf:
444603894_e914508b29.jpg

2.When I saw what looked like a rather nice looking thunder storm developing... (bare with me here) my illistrations (and spelling) are atrious.
444603892_ca5877e5b8.jpg

3. So I went home and got my gear together and started out towards this cloud. This is what I saw as I was driving towards it (and no I wasn't driving... ok... ok... I confess I was driving). I'm sorry for the terrible image but at least if gives you an idea of the size and shape. (click on the image for bigger size).

4. Well I had been driving for about 100 miles to get to it and I had to use the restroom (no I'm not showing any of that :lmao: ). But I turned around from the storm cell and saw this. (click on the image for bigger size)

5. Then I thought that it would be cool to get parts of the cloud itself so here it is. This is my first HDR post and I only have the trail version so you'll have to overlook the watermarks, and the fact that it's also a photostitched image I think I did ok. (click on the image for bigger size)

Well that's all I have for now... I hope you enjoyed the first part of my trip.

I love it. Ever since I was little...I have been saying that I wish I could just drive around taking photos of clouds.

freaking awesome

Wow, just... stunning. Any advice for capturing better pictures of clouds? As in, filters, white balance approach, exposure, etc?

Whoa, It must be so awesome to see these in person. I love the colors in #4 and the clouds in the HDR are stunning! :thumbup:

Good gravy! Those are some fantastic clouds! Very nice BoblyBill :)

Wow, just... stunning. Any advice for capturing better pictures of clouds? As in, filters, white balance approach, exposure, etc?

Well lets see... As far as filters, I'm poor and don't have any that I put onto the lense (lens? I'm never sure how that's spelled). White Balance was set on auto. I have been shooting nothing but auto bracetting (I really wish I was a better speller) of +/- 2ev. because of the HUGE range of light intensities. I have been experimenting with HDR but I'm not really pleased with the results of those so far. There quite a lot that I do post proccessing. I put a total of 7 layers on this: a duplicate layer that I sharpen (also then I can dodge and burn and not mess up the background), a levels filter, constrast filter (in which I actually de-contrast them usually a little), hue/saturation filter (I usually desaturate it a little), a cooling filter set on about 18%, and a deep blue filter set on overlay (this is the one that really makes the difference). I usually have to mask the top and erase the bottom because that overlay (sometimes I use light screen) really adds a lot of contrast. I usually have to back it off a bit.

Does this help?

Thanks for all the comments

Nobody likes #2? lol... I spent a lot of time on that one.

I love #5! I wish we could get some awesome weather like that here. I love love love weather.

... I hope you enjoyed the first part of my trip.

Yes, yes, yes. I have!
When and where's more!?!?!?!
I want more, more, more!

You are very aptly filling in the void that came about when our wxnut stopped posting his "big weather" pictures. He's now more into portraits, so it seems.

Yes, yes, yes. I have!
When and where's more!?!?!?!
I want more, more, more!

You are very aptly filling in the void that came about when our wxnut stopped posting his "big weather" pictures. He's now more into portraits, so it seems.

Yeah... what happened to that... When I first came here in October he was posting some really cool tornado pictures. In fact, some of his pictures have been what has inspired me to take storm pictures. Ironic?

When I get home tonight I'll post more... I have some 240 (well they were all bracketed so actually 80 but most of them are also panos. so really maybe 10 in all...

Great use of HDR on the last! HDR is a great tool for really bringing out the detail of clouds. I use it a lot...sshhhhhhh :D

I'm really, really looking forward to seeing some finished shots of #3!

I really like watching your skills grow :thumbup: You've got a nack with clouds/storms.

Most reactions

Back