thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
leafbw-sm.jpg

saw this on top of a bunch of burnt wood.

Just wondering if you sharpened the image? I noticed the white edge around the leaf and it reminded me of oversharpening. Either way, I think the white edge really makes the leaf stand out from the log. Good job!

Nice photo, like all your black and whites...

... but this is not an oak leaf.

(This would be one
018b_Eichenlaub_crop.jpg

Sorry about the size of the photo, I had downsized it in Photobucket by 50% and it still appears this large on here now, while in Photobucket itself it had become small enough for a whispered aside, which it is meant to be, for I don't want to hijack your thread with anything, believe me.)

thanks guys!

woodsac, i always sharpen my images (naturally), but that white edge was actually in the original, just part of the leaf.

lafoto, i'm afraid you caught me. I always get that mixed up with oak. I think it actually might be a sweet gum leaf. can anyone tell?

i'm not sure what kind of leaf it is, but this is a great photo! Nice work...

thebeginning said:
lafoto, i'm afraid you caught me. I always get that mixed up with oak. I think it actually might be a sweet gum leaf. can anyone tell?

I was just poking around my local Goodwill and found a National Audubon Society Pocket Guide to Familiar Trees of North America (east)... and sure enough your leaf is in there Daniel. It is indeed a Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) leaf.

Identification: Leaves shiny dark green above, paler below; maplelike, with 5 or 7 fine-pointed lobes and sawtoothed edges; base notched; turning reddish in fall.
Habitat: Valleys, lowerslopes and mixed woodlands with moist soils
Range: SW.Connecticut to central Florida, west to S.Illinois and E.Texas; to 3000'

Great shot - and great mystery!

Killer shot . The black and white rocks. Well done.

Most reactions

Back