jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Saw this interesting little (5mm) bug on the back patio. Not sure what it is. Looks like it has stuff stuck all over it's back. UPDATE: On doing some research, it is a Green Lacewing larva. They cover themselves with junk that they find. Pretty interesting.

may25202201 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

may25202202 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am glad you found what it was, I thought you might have stumbled on something alien........

Nice find/capture, Jeff. I assume it covers itself so it doesn't appear as food to a bird or some other insect. At least that's what I would do in 'insect world'. It's a scary place full of real monsters.

Nice find/capture, Jeff. I assume it covers itself so it doesn't appear as food to a bird or some other insect. At least that's what I would do in 'insect world'. It's a scary place full of real monsters.
Thanks! While I was researching it, I found one pic where it had covered itself in ant pieces, heads, bodies, legs, along with bits of grass, leaves, and dirt. I think it probably qualifies as a monster in it's own right with those mandibles. Just thankful they are tiny, and not the size of, say a small car... 😱

Very cool discovery and info. Never would have guessed it was alive. When I looked at your first pic, I thought you were pulling our leg and photographed dryer lint😂

Thanks! While I was researching it, I found one pic where it had covered itself in ant pieces, heads, bodies, legs, along with bits of grass, leaves, and dirt. I think it probably qualifies as a monster in it's own right with those mandibles. Just thankful they are tiny, and not the size of, say a small car... 😱
Yeah, like the giant carpenter ants in the old 1954 B&W movie, "Them."

Very cool discovery and info. Never would have guessed it was alive. When I looked at your first pic, I thought you were pulling our leg and photographed dryer lint😂
I thought the same, like it was a piece of berber carpet walking around.

Most reactions

Back