Streaky Film

$img007.jpg
They all didn't turn out as bad as I thought. See the line right above the apple logo on the mac.
(Also, please don't C&C these, total test shots. I just got a box of chemicals and wanted to jump into developing so unloaded a role in my bedroom :p)

Thanks everyone, the negatives look great I can't wait to scan them, I'm just happy it worked and I'll experiment with ways to get it " un-streaky ".

I have got photo flow and, after dumping the fixer out, I just poured water in the tank and took the funnel part out and then poured a tiny bit of photoflow and swished it around like fancy people with wine do in movies. Should I just try rolling the film back up in the spool and try that again or is there another technique you photo-flo users are talking about you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks again everyone,
Brad

Wait.. did you wash the film after fixing or did you just go straight to photo-flo? Because your description here seems like you didn't wash the film..

that's actually kind of odd. is this in or on the negative?

Nope bhop, I didn't wash it after the fixer, I just put water in the tank and then a drop of photo-flo. Your saying I should have put water in agitated, poured the water out. Then, pour more water in and add the drop of photo-flo.
Also, unpopular, I think it is ON the negative because if it was IN I think the other shots would have had the same strange line? Although, I can't seem to clean it off. I just wanted to thank everyone again.
I can't see any lines in this one for example:

Attachments

• $img008.jpg
    $img008.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
You should follow the instructions for using your fixer.

Generally there is a pretty thorough wash after fixing, a few minutes of running water. Otherwise residual fixer remains in the film and does.. well I don't know what it does, but it's apparently not good. There's a product called hypo-clear, I think, which is yet another bath for the film, which cleans fixer out and reduces the necessary washing time. But there's still a wash.

I wash my film for 20 minutes in running water after the fix. I'm guessing that's your problem, or part of it maybe..

Do you use a squeegee to help dry your film? The 'streak' in your mac pic looks like a scratch to me.

NEVER squeegee film. That's the point of photoflo.

If you're having trouble with dust, it makes more sense to get a utility cabinet and put some desiccant in the bottom, or rig up some kind of filtered air flow or use an ionic air purifier if the dust is really bad, like it is around here.

Roll film is really delicate wet.

I have been using the Ilford method of washing film, fresh water - 5 inversions, fresh water - 10 inversions, fresh water - 20 inversions, I usually do another 20 inversion rinse w/ fresh water as well. Then do 30-60 sec in photoflo before hanging to dry. This method uses a lot less water than other methods, but gets good results. I was a little sceptical of this method as it is fairly fast compared to others, but found a lot of supporters of it on the Range Finder Forum.

I think not washing it in running water was probably the main problem. A scratch! How didn't I think of that. It is really likely actually because being my first time developing some surprises made me handle the film a little rougher than I would have liked.

Thank goodness this is a test roll because these negatives are going to go south "fast", not washing is a huge mistake as now the negatives are heavy with chemical products and are going to suffer from deterioration

Thank goodness this is a test roll because these negatives are going to go south "fast", not washing is a huge mistake as now the negatives are heavy with chemical products and are going to suffer from deterioration

Oh yikes. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll make sure I toss them.

Oh yikes. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll make sure I toss them.

You don't have to toss them, just be aware that they will probably deteriorate in some way eventually.. could be years from now..

Oh alright, I kind of wanted to keep them considering it was my first development.
-Just developed roll #2 today though and it's drying right now, let's hope it isn't streaky.

Is there any reason an underwashed roll can't simply be re-washed?

If you've cut them up, washing can be a pain in the butt, but you should just be able to wash them again thoroughly. Probably have to wash a bit more, since the emulsion has dried out and will need to be re-wetted before washing will really be effective, but a couple minutes of soaking in clean water, followed by a thorough wash should be fine.

Am I missing something here?

I agree with the "never squeegee film" theory. I have no idea where this squeegeeing thing came from. Does it work if you have proper technique or something? Is it a holdover from the days much thicker and I suppose maybe tougher emulsions?

I try to avoid touching the emulsion at all times, but especially when wet, and use photoflo.

Most reactions

Back