What's new

Street Corner Kiss

Is it OK to crop street photos?


  • Total voters
    7
I really don't quite get what you're asking. My final aspect ratio is identical to the existing aspect ration of the recording media.

Interesting take on fitting the the aspect ratio of the image to various sizes of paper. I'm not a big fan of borders (personal preference), and the use of asymmetrical borders sets my OCD on red alert.
Henri Cartier-Bresson was the most famous photog to shoot full frame, crop in the camera and print to the aspect ratio of the recording medium.
 
I really don't quite get what you're asking. My final aspect ratio is identical to the existing aspect ration of the recording media.

Interesting take on fitting the the aspect ratio of the image to various sizes of paper. I'm not a big fan of borders (personal preference), and the use of asymmetrical borders sets my OCD on red alert.
I also have a paper cutter to even out a square format on a rectangular sheet of paper.
 
Henri Cartier-Bresson was the most famous photog to shoot full frame, crop in the camera and print to the aspect ratio of the recording medium.

Still doesn't make me a fan, lot of people think Ansel was overrated as well. The other thing is printing in your own darkroom gives you a lot of flexibility not available in commercial labs.
 
Some good points have been put across on the OPs question. For me I try to get it right on composition in the camera, but I will still crop most of my people shots. For the OP I do like your shot and think it tells a better story being in mono.
 
The picture says to me the photographer understands the genre and is on the street, looking for a good picture. But this picture IMO has a large, blank area of negative space in the centre that adds nothing, not even a logo, or a texture, and its shape is uninteresting. So i feel that 20-25% of the frame is redundant.
 
(Poll): yes, it's ok. It's ok because cropping is a tool/technique to be used subjectively.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom