street photog (i don't really get it) c&c please

syphlix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've been browsing a bunch of street photography type shots, and i have to get it... i don't really understand it... a lot of it just looks to me like... random shots of ppl walking down a street... typically they look poorly exposed, grainy, b&w sometimes...

am i missing something?... i do like photos that seem to capture a "moment"... which really could be anything... but a lot of them just seem to be about not much at all...

i'm sure i am completely misunderstanding the point... so could someone guide my mind in the correct direction?

here are two photos. the first one i really liked when i captured it... i don't like how the guy to the right is facing out, or that he's even in the frame, but sometimes i guess i just can't pose them like i want lol..

the second one... i'm kinda eh... i waited for a while bc i was hoping to get a snap of some couple, or a parent and kid, some kind of thing like that as they were walking by the street wisdom, but i couldn't find the proper models :eek:...

what do you guys think? are these shots worth a second glance? if not, what could i do differently to make them better?

3955718599_a50e75cf91_b.jpg

img3868.jpg

I think #2 is totally what 'street photography' is about. The baord with the writing on it adds so much to the picture and captures the moment perfectly. Not too hot on #1 but thats just my opinion. Keep up the good work.

My advice for street photography is to look around for the most interesting thing you see, and go toward it. Follow it. See what happens, and be as prepared as you can be settings-wise.

The first is a definite "meh" shot, for a multitude of reasons.

The second shot is great! The board on the left definitely calls one's attention to the image, and makes me look twice.

the #2 is really the "street photography" philosophy. great shot! :thumbup:

what makes it strong?

Whether you knew it or not when to took the shot, I think it tells a story. The sign says "This moment is more precious than you think" and the person walking by clearly paid no mind to it or just didn't see it at all. Similarly, the person walking by apparently didn't notice you. This moment that to the walker (and perhaps you) didn't seem important or memorable was captured, and maybe as a result, *is* memorable/important.

In my humble opinion, street photography is successful when it evokes an emotion. Sure, some people say "tells a story". I guess that's fine... maybe even vital if it's part of a news story or magazine article. But, for a photo and nothing but a photo, it needs to cause an emotional response in the viewer. If any given picture doesn't do that, it's not a note-worthy shot. In your examples, #1 makes me think... "dude makin' food". Doesn't do much for me. #2 works. The sign, the B&W mood, the general feeling of malaise in the setting... yeah, that's a good shot.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I like the first one more. The motion is better, the exposure is better, the use of DoF is better.

It tells the story of a guy who's about mid-shift in a busy grab n go joint. Way more emotional than the second one, imo.

I like the first one as well. If it was taken through a window, I'd be interested to see another shot but with the frame of the window in the frame of the picture. To me it's not really about some guy cookin food, it's about capturing a guy that's focused on his work and unaware that he's being watched, with to me is the essence of street photography.

Though not understanding street photography, you did a good job. If you take what everyone told you, it kind of defines good street photos. Something grabs your attention and makes you think about it, even though they might see different things.

Craig

thanks for all the comments... seriously i don't think i've posted anything yet that got this many lol...

i have another question though... does the B&W and the grain just happen to add to "street" type images"... or is it for say... gritty type scenes?... when i look at the original photo, it's exposed well (i think)... but w/ all the color in there, it doesn't seem as striking at all... so i guess my roundabout question is... is the photo better bc of the b&w, is it better bc of the scene, or do both those factors have to be there to give it impact?

lol i'm not sure i made any sense there... but hopefully someone understands what i'm asking :eek:

Look at some good one's and you will get it, take a look at one of the best Garry Winogrand or Bruce Gilden

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back