Street Photography Reactions

thebasedsloth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.tmarshphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll make this brief, because I tend to ramble when I start threads.
I love street photography and want to get more into it, but thats not why I'm making this thread!
How do you deal with people on the streets that you're taking pictures of? I took some photos last night (Popeyes) and I had the manager come out, and the driver of a car come out to yell at me and question me for taking pictures.
Do you just take each photo and get away before anyone can say anything or do you just smile and hope for the best?
I feel like it'd be beneficial to have a smaller camera like a rangefinder or compact camera (Micro 4/3's) so you don't look like you're working for the government or something..

Edit: Damn, I rambled -__-

Shooting on private property can be problematic.

A nice big gripped DSLR with a nice big 24-85 mm f/2.8-4 zoom lens with a petal type lens hood on it never caused me any problems.

If you look like your trying to hide the fact you're making photos, most people will get a negative vibe.

I usually approach people before I take a photo of them. That may be just catching their eye, smiling with a 'can I take your picture' smile, and holding up the camera slightly, to having them sign a model release, putting them where I want them, and posing them before I take my shots.

Do you just take each photo and get away before anyone can say anything or do you just smile and hope for the best?

Both of these..

Sometimes you'll have confrontations if you're getting close to people that are paranoid and ignorant of the law. Paranoia seems to be ingrained in modern society. You just have to know your rights if they do confront you. I find it's easier to just say 'sorry' and walk away than to try to talk to them.

Shoot with a TLR ;) or waist level finder/LCD ... people only think a picture is being taken when the camera is placed in front of head/eye.

Hmm, thanks for the advice, guys! I guess learning to deal with people is just another skill i'll have to learn and get better at! But just to be sure, as long as i'm on public property, i'm legally allowed to take pictures of whatever/whoever I want, correct?

I dare say it's not about people's ignorance to the law, but rather the feeling that it's rude to take the photo. I perfectly understand those being photographed, I wouldn't feel totally comfortable as well, if some guy with a camera took my picture just 1-5 meters away from me.

....... I wouldn't feel totally comfortable as well, if some guy with a camera took my picture just 1-5 meters away from me.

Especially when he's got gear that costs 25 times what mine is worth. :lmao:

Keeping my distance seems like it would be beneficial.. I always felt like a 35mm wasn't wide enough for street photography but now I feel like something narrower might be more appropriate. Now I know why 50mm's are praised among street photographers, you can be far enough away to get the shot without anyone noticing...

I think people never know what anyone's true intent is and that is why there is so much concern when spotted taking photos. There have been reports over time here about these sort of conflicts and I have come to the conclusion that it might make sense to simply ask if it is OK to take a photo and be told no rather than to get people angry or upset if you did.

I have opportunities with the work that I do to be able to take photos that others are dying to take, but I can't because I know that unless I ask their permission, I know they would not want me to take photos unless I had it. And that then starts to open the door to all sorts of questions, and its certainly simpler to try to sneak it in. Which I can't and won't do because of my job, and I don't try anywhere else because to me the conflict is just not worth it.

I think there are probably more public buildings or environments that offer less hassle and a less tense opportunity for good captures. I'm not trying to chastize anyone for seeing somehting that interests them, I am just thinking that for a simple random capture its crazy to have to fight so hard that it almost doesn't make sense to go down that road. To me anyway. YMMV.

I don't get why people are so paranoid about "people's true intent".. what can someone really do with a photograph of them on the street? Put it on the internet? Oh no.. someone might look at it! If someone was planning to do something shady with it, they wouldn't be up in their face taking the pic, they'd either get it from their facebook page or take it with a superzoom. I wouldn't care if someone takes my photo. Personally, I think modern society is losing its collective mind with all the fear mongering and paranoia.

..and yes, I realize that everyone's entitled to their own opinion, so those that don't agree with me, I get that you have yours.

I strongly agree with Bhop, Most people who get their picture taken without their consent immediately think the worst and assume I'm stalking them or using their picture against them somehow.

Keeping my distance seems like it would be beneficial.. I always felt like a 35mm wasn't wide enough for street photography but now I feel like something narrower might be more appropriate. Now I know why 50mm's are praised among street photographers, you can be far enough away to get the shot without anyone noticing...

35mm on full frame is the classic angle for street photography as made popular by many leica users in the past. The focal length is not the problem. Attitude and timing are. Maybe you were shooting at the wrong place at the wrong time. Find a better place and time and things will probably go better. There is a reason many street photographers shoot in dense metro areas. I often take picture of people on the street with a very menacing looking 70-210 f2.8. People know I am taking their picture and I do not try to hide it. I do smile and try to look friendly.

all of these people saw me and walked right past me without any problems.

_DSC4350 Side walker by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

back pack carrier by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

_DSC4409 stroll after dinner by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
This guy looked up and smiled at me after I took his picture. Some people kind of dig it.

_DSC4403 bloak by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

_DSC4405 head phones by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Last edited:
I noticed that too, there was much more interesting subjects when I went to Baltimore the other day. And it seemed busy enough that people wouldn't even notice if I took their picture!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back