Street photography

montresor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed this seems a little more difficult in 2005? Are people on the street more suspicious of a camera than they were in decades past? I'm naturally a bit shy anyway, and it seems even more of an affront to aim a camera at people in the era of color-coded alerts. But I see good street photography and I think, "Holy bananas, I want to try that!" What techniques have any of you developed for photographing people on the street? I'm not exactly fond of the idea of snapping away without knowledge/consent, although I'll admit that people are more interesting when they don't know they're being observed. So it's a two-part question: the ethics of street photography, and the methods of making yourself part of the scene. Thoughts/comments/caveats?

ok if i may go first...
street photography is what i aim to do.. it is a passion i want to follow..
initially it is kind of awkward but if it is something you want to do then best to get over your inhibitions.
it is difficult photographing people yes... i mostly always ask for consent.. as some may take offense.. also it is always best to get in close to your subject... telephotolenses always just seem wayyyyyyyyyy suspicious... get in close.. share a few pleasantries and snap.. don't think they would mind. just be nice about it and most dont have any hassles...
on making yourslef a part of the scene... ask for consent... while away some time till they get back to what they are doing.. or just tell them to keep at what they are doing (please.. and smile ;) ).. and shoot shoot shoot
hope some of this helps... :D
ALSO.. i've never really dealt with a model release etc.. just make sure the person doesnt mind.. and assure them it is for personal work (if it is)

I've done some street photography, but not a lot. Some people use smaller rangefinder like Leica because of size and low noise levels. I use my old Praktica with a 50mm lense. Its probably not a good idea to be walking around shooting with a big zoom lense on a giant SLR because it would be sort of intimidating.

Street photography is often done differently by different people, some do it in a way that is quite interesting, almost like seperating themselves from the scence and studying human interaction and behavior while other just ask people for a quick shot.

I like shooting from the hip, using a deep DOF, and never using the viewfinder.

The cameras I use most when wandering the streets are a Widelux, a Rolleiflex, and an Ansco Titan (6x6 folder). I don't know exactly know what people are thinking, but they don't seem to be as intimidated when I'm taking pics with a camera that looks 40+ years old. Maybe they think it's so old the photos can't possibly come out. Also they don't understand the operation of the old cameras, so when they don't see me lift the camera to my face (the Rollie has a waist level finder of course, and the viewfinders on the other 2 are about useless), they think I'm not taking photos. If it's convenient I ask permission, and usually offer a copy of the photo, but if not I still take the pic. If I ask permission, and they say no, I won't take their pic. I'm interested in photographing regular people, so it's usually not a big deal. I'm not into street people, homeless, etc... as subject matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back