Street Photography

I know I'm late to this discussion but couldn't help but be drawn to this comment:

the context of images can be interpreted in any way that is out of the control of the photographer

And I ask, what is it that makes you think that the context of the image was ever in the control of the photographer?

It never was. People interpret images in terms of their own experience, understanding and prejudice. Photographers have never been able to capture the absolute of a moment and lock it inside a frame where it is fixed and seen as an immovable absolute by all viewers. This is a basic understanding with all photography.

The problem with a lot of street photography today is social media. It is a culture of "look at me" of how *I* captured this moment that only *I* see. A lot of the time, with the explosion of *street* on social media I get the message that we are celebrating the *photographer's eye* and not gaining a deeper understanding of the nature of being human. It has moved away from this in search of the celebration of *self*. In the days of film, pre-internet, images that were published had to pass the scrutiny of editors who culled images, who looked after the editorial brief of their bosses and the advertisers who paid them. They published what they believed was of interest to those being photographed rather than the ones doing the photography. It is a reversal of intent that seems to be largely missed by many street photographers of today as their aim seems to be one of their own self promotion. Which is quite the opposite of the original street photography and why those being photographed found it interesting.

Perception is everything, and because people view with prejudice then they will invariably side with the point of view that fits their purpose. And if that is more isolationist and they are more willing to believe that *all* street photography is just social media wannabes looking for their 15mins of fame then we only have human nature to blame. Which incidentally is what street photography was originally a window for us to see and reflect on.

Should we blame the audience for not understanding us, or ourselves for not understanding the audience?

Just my opinion... ;);););)

Old thread but still more relevant than ever. I've taken street photography before and I haven't been given a hard time. I'm also someone who generally doesn't like too many people in my pictures anyways and it never the focus, if someone comes up to me and starts something I'll delete it though. The worst I ever got and this was a long while a ago was when I was photographing an area of a mall inside later at night after most things have closed down and got some looks and a comment or two. You just gotta get over that though, people are going to do that in any hobby/passion you have that they get to see you doing sometimes in public. Like for example I come from metal detecting land and it's even worse there no matter where you are. People talking down to you, assuming anything and everything about you just because you enjoy it and are focused on it to having the police called a couple times when absolutely nothing was illegal so I was always let off in minutes. People are just scared of anything they don't understand and have to witness, pair that with ignorant and it can become a pretty dangerous combination. Usually if you can take a verbal beating and just nod your head and move on you'll be fine in photography most situations. Like if someone in public just held up a camera and took a picture of me, I would probably ask them what that was about politely because I think anyone might be weirded out to an extent but if it's just for some photography it's all good. If not all it takes it telling the person that you didn't like that at the time and hope they'll delete it. I don't understand why so many people are so hysterical and over reactive to everything, not solving a thing even if you don't agree with or like something.

Hi all I am in the uk, I do quite a bit of street photography here is my version of staying out of trouble
I am a big person and I am very open in my approach to photographing people I let se me
My self imposed rule book lol
Ok so no photos of kids
I don’t photo to embarrass or make fun
And lastly if someone comes up to me and asks I let them see my images of them
In the last five years I have only 2 cases where someone has asked me to delete images
One of which was a police officer not in uniform

Most reactions

Back