stripped tripod threads on my 5D!!!! help!!!

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up a 5d for an amazing price. However the threads on the bottom where you connect a tripod are stripped. How much would it cost to fix this? Can I do it myself? What needs to be changed etc. I wouldn't care but I want to put a grip on it. Please help!!!

Eric

A pain to be sure.

Have you thought about using a heli-coil or other thread insert repair? Get them from your local hardware place or order some online.

The thread is a 1/4-20 for a 5D

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on how bad they are you could try a tap as well and re-thread it.

Available at pretty much any hardware store.

I don't know if I feel comfortable drilling into my camera. Isn't there a way to buy a replacement part? Like replace the bottom part? It is actually the outer 2 or 3 threads that are bad, so I can put a tripod on but it only gets about 2 or 3 turns. So I don't know if this is safe or not...

Read my post, no drilling and it should fix those first few threads.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00952068000P?vName=Tools & Equipment&cName=Hand Tools&keyword=tap 1/4 20&mv=s2f

NOYZE- that is just a link to the tool kit to do it. The threads are pretty bad. They are almost filed down to nothing... so my tripod will slip into the threading about half a cm or so then it will start threading to the inner threads. Are you sure this can fix that? They aren't just cross threaded. Its almost as if there are no threads at all.

send it to me, i'll send you my XS which has perfect threads for a tripod. i dont use a tripod that often so i'll try and live with it

Or a local machine shop. Sounds like a heli-coil or similar may be needed.
My thoughts exactly. Hi Tech machine shops deal with much more complicated operations to save threads on incredibly complex items in order to repair/extend their operational life. This would be a very simple fix, if you can find one that will do it. It might get a little expensive. Machinists, expecially very talented one's or tool and die makers labor is expensive. But I'd bet you could get it done for under a hundred. Maybe less if you've got a friend in the machining/engineering field.

J.:mrgreen:

Probably under a hundred. I've had my hot shoe replaced for under a hundred CAD (had to have one of the screws drilled out; thank goodness it wasn't the screw that carried the ETTL information).

Most reactions

Back