What's new

Strobe Lighting???

photohopeful

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to purchase some lighting equipment and I have read up on many things, however, I would really appreciate the input of real photographers and those who use the equipment. I would like to purchase strobe lighting but I am on a very, very low budget. I know this leaves me with very limited options but I may get lucky with ebay. I need them for portraiture of families, children, and senior portraits. I will be photographing a wedding soon and I would really like o have some for the bridal portraits. I simply dont know of good and affordable brands and what wattage is good?

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate the help!
 
You neglect to mention if you will be using them in a studio or on-location.

On-location means you may not have access to a wall socket you can plug lights into. Also, outside you will need more power than you would need inside.

To one person, having $3000 to spend on lighting might be "a very, very low budget". Plus you really need more than 1 light.

About the least expensive strobes would be the FPBK1 Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit with 2 160 Watt Second Flashes, Light Stands, 33" White Umbrellas & Softex Carrying Case..

You could by one light at a time, but you still need a stand and the modifier (umbrellas) make for softer lighting.

For someone starting out I recommend Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit
 
Last edited:
As others have stated, we would need a better idea of what you mean by budget. It sounds like some or most of these may be outdoor photos. This is what I love to do most. As of now I only use nikon speedlites I've found off craigslist. We're talking 75 bucks! Find yourself some shade outside and you're good to go with an umbrella and simple battery powered speedlite. Or you can place the sun to their back and shoot away. Here's a link to my blog, I talk a bit about it here and will be adding more shortly... Over Powering the Sun Craze « Nakean Photography If you're set on studio stobes and on a budget you can't go wrong with Alienbees! Here's my next set up for about $1000.... Flickr: Discussing Am I ready to be abducted or do I just want another piece of gear? in Alien Bees
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom