Stroboscopic Flash

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I haven't really done any of this, though my flash has the capability... I'm trying to come up with ideas for when I would want to use it. I have a feeling that my ideas are kind of lame...

Please post some photos where you employed stroboscopic flash. If possible, details (settings - number of flashes and cycles per second (Hz) specifically...) would be nice.

Twenty five years ago, I worked with a tennis pro who was writing a book. He wanted pictures of his tennis swing. At that time, I was shooting an Olympus OM4, and had the Olympus T45 handle flash. I decided to try it with stroboscopic flash. It took use a little experimentation to figure out the frequency of the flashes, and the correct amount of power. Ambient light provided some blurring between flashes, and we got images with five to seven distinct images of his arm and racket moving. We also did some high speed sets for actually showing the proper technique and all... He just wanted the strobe effect shots to show it overall. I don't remember the details, but it did come out rather nicely.

other than that.. have done some strobe effect shots of my cats jumping for toys.. same type of effect. That is about it for me. Just synced the strobe with CH mode on my D7000. Just playing with it actually.. nothing serious obviously!

Collage-JUMPWeb.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh... You pulled the toy away when she was about to get it - you're mean... :lol:

I do like the symmetry of that series, BTW.

Never used it myself, but this video here might give you some pointers and ideas about its use (though its using multiflash not just a single flash, but the ideas and concepts are certainly still sound).

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^That is exactly the kind of stuff I was taking about...

Stroboscopic = Repeating...

edit
BTW - mods and admin - we really do need a "lighting" section like Big Mike Suggested - if we had one, that's where I would have posted this thread...

Last edited:
How many SB900's did he use? ;) Plus it looks like every flash had a external battery pack.

Bruce

PIXEL make some affordable battery packs which work well for flashes if you're interested - they really do help the recycle rate of even top end flashes; though you have to keep an eye on how many times you fire (do it way too often and the increased recycling speed can overheat the flash)

And yeah he is using a lot of flashes so that he can cover fare more distance in the motion of the subject, one or two flashes would give you less scope ,but you'd still be able to cover a good range of motion (esp if you -- dreaded - camera mount (bracket) teh flash and then pan the scene)

edit
BTW - mods and admin - we really do need a "lighting" section like Big Mike Suggested - if we had one, that's where I would have posted this thread...
:thumbup:

edit
:thumbup:

You know... For emphasis.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back