Strobs/Flash

I don't have this particular kit but I do own a few of their kits. Mine came with the Vivitar 285HVs and thus have no experience with the new flash. (Honestly, I wish I could trade my 285s for this new manual flash...) I have recommended their kits in the past and continue to do so. Go for it!

Midwest Photo Exchange is pretty well respected, as are their kits. It seems like a fair price - it's not Unbelievable!, but I guess that's because it's honest.

I have no experience with that flash, but if it's manually controllable (and has some zoom capability) then you should be good to go.

I don't have first hand experience with that stuff either...but word on the street is that it's certainly adequate and should have everything to get you started.

It looks like a great strobist set. I'd say go for it.

The big difference is the type/brand of radio trigger system. The student version uses a cheap Cactus trigger and the pro version uses pocket wizards.

If you search the forum, there are plenty of discussions about the different flash trigger options.

If you're on a budget, I built a 2 flash setup that was way less than the first one. I didn't get all of the stuff in one place, but it saved me some $$$.

Here's what I got and where I got it:
2 Vivitar 285hv's from Adorama @ $89 a piece
2 Umbrellas, stands and mounts from ebay (seller discountbulbs) @ $60
1 Cactus V4 receiver and 4 transmitters from Gadget Infinity @ $120

I had also purchased a Nikon SB600 to work with my Nikon body, but was bought used at $175 and I plan on buying another Vivitar as my 4th.

Midwest Photo was my first option, but I figured I could get more bang for my buck if I just did the work and pieced it out. The second kit you listed looks nice, especially with Pocket Wizards, but of course comes at a price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back