Stuck in a Predicament ... need insight

Yes it's going to be shoot and hope, 30 minutes is not long enough to get set up and take some light readings for flash and ambient and then get 35-50 keepers

I don't see time being the problem here. Thirty-five different shots of one kid in one session? I'm presuming she's expecting different poses/settings. I can't imagine how to do that, even if I had hours. Typically, I'd show about 20 or 30 proofs and MAYBE prepare three or so for printing.

And if the kid is young, he/she will decide just how many exposures will be made.

-Pete

Ahhh, white posterboard is a good idea. I'll have my assisstant (aka wife) with me lol.

Can't do onboard and 600, the 600 will be attached on camera as I can't go off with it (no triggers... yet).

If you don't have a body which supports Commander Mode, optical triggers are cheap and cheerful - usually <$20.

Could you give me an example of the type of triggers you're speaking of?

Ok, so a month or so ago I agreed to do a child's portrait

Tire, I know triggers can be had for cheap, but they wouldn't get here in time for the weekend if I had to do it this saturday.
See the first quote. You've known for a month or so about the shoot.

The woman expects 35 to 50 "keepers", eh?

Are you being payed by the shot,or what!?!?

Out of curiosity, lets say I have an SB-800 and SB-600. Can I use such a trigger to allow me to use Auto-FP with both the on and off camera flash, without getting into expensive PW's or Radio Poppers?

Out of curiosity, lets say I have an SB-800 and SB-600. Can I use such a trigger to allow me to use Auto-FP with both the on and off camera flash, without getting into expensive PW's or Radio Poppers?
I don't think so.

FP-sync is generally going to require the speedlight be on the camera hot shoe. Pocket Wizards has a Canon only system that can do FP-sync but they have had problems with it and still don't offer a Nikon compatible device.

I don't think so.

FP-sync is generally going to require the speedlight be on the camera hot shoe. Pocket Wizards has a Canon only system that can do FP-sync but they have had problems with it and still don't offer a Nikon compatible device.

How then do people deal with off camera lighting in daytime, bright (sunny 16) conditions? ND filter?

I think we need to define "keeper". If by keeper you mean not deleted in camera, then 35-50 is a decent number. If you mean frame worthy, I would ask her what the weather is like in fantasy land this weekend.

Just do your best.

p!nK

I don't think so.

How then do people deal with off camera lighting in daytime, bright (sunny 16) conditions? ND filter?
They put their subjects in open shade or use diffusion panels to create open shade, so they don't need to use FP-sync.

G I'd use a flash with diffuser. It's a LOT less headache than to carry around reflectors to be honest. Unless you can get someone else to come with you. If you use flash correctly, you can get away with it w/out having a "flash" look to the photo. The bottom was used with a flash. Had no issue and no harsh shadows/fash issue. Taken around 4:30pm. I had it set to TTL with +1 FC and was about 15-20 ft away from them if that helps

Oh and do let your customers know what to expect. I mean if you can handle 30 pictures in 30 mins that's fine. But I think that's just too much for a 30 min session. I'd say 5 - 10 at the most.

76254_10150326413745226_882565225_15886530_5044416_n.jpg

lol, sorry for late responses, didn't realize people kept responding.

Derrel, she said she'd pay me what the other photographer (the one that was booked) would have charged for a mini weekend session (half hour = 75 dollars). Here's the thing though, for 75, it includes the half hour session, all images on a usb, and promises 30-50 edited keepers.

I explained to her that I'm no professional and I cannot promise a certain number of 'keepers'.

KMH -- Yeah, I've known for a month, but $$$ isn't all that good right now in the household to go out spending money here and there for a 'hobby' (as the wife calls it). Plus, I'm not a professional, but doing a favor for a friend by doing these for her friend.

EDIT: Here's her explanation on the pay/results

Just outdoor pics would be great (City Park? Quarter?) and maybe change his clothes once or twice. I'd like to include my chihuahua in some shots, but that's not a must. A family shoot would be nice, but not necessary. She does mini sessions for $75 on the weekends and gives you 50 edited pics on a jump drive. I'm definitely interested in having the files so I can make Christmas cards out of the shots.

Forgot she said she wanted to do two changes of clothes + family in a half hour lol.

EDIT: Here's her explanation on the pay/results

Just outdoor pics would be great (City Park? Quarter?) and maybe change his clothes once or twice. I'd like to include my chihuahua in some shots, but that's not a must. A family shoot would be nice, but not necessary. She does mini sessions for $75 on the weekends and gives you 50 edited pics on a jump drive. I'm definitely interested in having the files so I can make Christmas cards out of the shots.

Forgot she said she wanted to do two changes of clothes + family in a half hour lol.
And don't forget your littlte doggie too.

My response would be quite simple........

..... only because, well, it's not possible. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

I sent her a fb message today explaining that we could wait until the end of November (Sunday after Thanksgiving) to get the best possible lighting, but also if she was in a hurry we could do early morning this weekend. I haven't heard back, so she might not even be interested anymore lol.

I looked at the 'photographer' she wanted it to look like, and it wasn't anything special, so I don't feel TOO bad if the lighting isn't perfect. (Although, I want to do the best possible, not just up to par with that 'photographer')

Most reactions

New Topics

Back