What's new

Stuck in "snapshot" mode...

dancingsphinx22

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
147
Reaction score
3
Location
Massachusetts
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am, I really am. :grumpy:

All right, I've decided to try that 365 day challenge and, well, today's the first day. What a great day to be lacking artistic inspiration. So, the following pictures are of my one addiction - Lip Gloss and Lip Stick. Sorry gentlemen.

My Composition - I was going for haphazard.
The Lighting - Was poor. Incandescent sink-fixture bulbs. (I know I need to improve there.)
The Look - I intended for the "Lip Smackers" tube to be prominent and in focus, however, I also wanted to capture the colors and contrast of the other tubes.

I edited in GIMP (been doing the reading.) I basically layered the 2 images, adjusted the levels/histogram, used burn/dodge and unsharp mask.

These are the two I combined:
i3f5w8.jpg

ohkefa.jpg


This is the final edit:
2m64s2u.jpg



So my question's are:
1. Is there anything I could've done, or could do, to make this look less "snapshot" like and more intentional?

2. Like I aaid before, I wanted the "Lip Smackers" tube to be the main focus. But I couldn't quite find a way to "spotlight" it without losing the colors from the other tubes? Perhaps blurring?
 
There really is just way to much stuff in the picture. The lip smacker part of the tube is the only thing in focus so that was achieved. However, the light is too specular (direct) diffuse it and then you should have less glare 'crossing out' what you want to be showing. If you do want it to stand out more use different contrasting colors around your subject as opposed to all the same color. Also, the pice tag is the only place where my eye can relax in the second iteration and the smudging in the final doesn't work with anything else in the picture.
Over all though the picture doesn't do anything for me at all.
Good luck on your 365 project. You'll get better as you go.
 
ok - So diffused light for less glare, and different colors to "spotlight" subject.

About the price tag, my original thought was to crop it out, but it made the rest of the picture look off balance. I swirled to make it look like lipgloss I've actually seen before, but I guess that didn't fly. :lol:

I'm sorry if I hurt your eyeballs. Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:
 
There are many 365 Projects out there, and I don't think that the project was intended to have absolutely perfect photos each day.

Here is an article on the 365 Project.
 
Mulewings - Oh I know that, haha, I'd probably go insane just trying to get one perfect shot!! Never mind one perfect shot each day.

This (above) was only the second photo I've ever uploaded for C&C, and I was testing out my newly aquired skills GIMP skills. I still have much to learn.

Thanks for the link, by the way. =)
 
Well, I just happen to post perfect photos each day for my project :meh:





:lmao: Maybe not.



I'll add that you should be careful of using the direct flash on reflective items, you'll get many glares.
 
I would have bunched all the other stuff together, placed the lip smackers up front a bit, throw the aperture wide open, then shoot.

Was this taken hand-held? I tend to set my camera on my cheap tripod or right on the ground for "product shots". Mind you, I only experiment with my photos as well.
 
So my question's are:
1. Is there anything I could've done, or could do, to make this look less "snapshot" like and more intentional?

2. Like I aaid before, I wanted the "Lip Smackers" tube to be the main focus. But I couldn't quite find a way to "spotlight" it without losing the colors from the other tubes? Perhaps blurring?

1. Dont use the flash on the camera, that killed these shots.

2. Just try some different placements. You could put the smackers up front, zoom on it, and it would blur the rest.
 
less is more

visualize what you want before you press the shutter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom