Stuck mirror, but only with certain lenses (nikon fm2)

swirve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know that mirror problems are everywhere on these boards, so one would think that it would be relatively easy to find a solution already posted. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any threads that address the specific problem that I am facing.

I have a Nikon FM2, and the problem is that the mirror keeps getting locked in the up position. It will stay in that position until the shutter is release again, and the camera keeps going back and forth like this (between the mirror being locked up and the mirror in its appropriate position). Strangely enough, this only happens with one lens (Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Series E). The mirror seems to work just fine when I'm using a different lens (Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5). Also, this camera is a replacement for my previous FM2, and both those lenses have been used on the older camera body for years with no problems whatsoever.

Has anybody seen/heard of something like this happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It will stay in that position until the shutter is release again, and the camera keeps going back and forth like this (between the mirror being locked up and the mirror in its appropriate position).
That is what happens when the camera is in Bulb shutter release mode. The first press starts an exposure, the second press ends the exposure.

It will stay in that position until the shutter is release again, and the camera keeps going back and forth like this (between the mirror being locked up and the mirror in its appropriate position).
That is what happens when the camera is in Bulb shutter release mode. The first press starts an exposure, the second press ends the exposure.

That's T, or Time exposure that does that Keith, and the FM-2 doesn't have a T exposure setting. This is an usual behavior the OP's camera is suffering from.

Check the stop down lever on the lens. Rough guess but if it's not straight or slightly bent that might cause this to occur.

Thanks everybody for your quick replies. It isn't on Bulb/Time exposure, as the camera advances a frame of film for each time that the shutter release is depressed. That was my first guess, too.

I'll check the stop down lever, but wouldn't this affect the camera's operation on both camera bodies? Could something be slightly different on the second body, making that body manifest a problem on the lens that was always there but just not exhibiting symptoms for the older body?

Thanks again!

Thanks everybody for your quick replies. It isn't on Bulb/Time exposure, as the camera advances a frame of film for each time that the shutter release is depressed. That was my first guess, too.

I'll check the stop down lever, but wouldn't this affect the camera's operation on both camera bodies? Could something be slightly different on the second body, making that body manifest a problem on the lens that was always there but just not exhibiting symptoms for the older body?

Thanks again!

Not necessarily, as I understand it the stop down lever makes contact with an internal mechanism in the camera - if it's bent just enough so that it's slipping past that internal mechanism on the FM it might cause this to happen, whereas on another camera body the tolerances might be different enough that it's not slipping past it so your not seeing the same issue.

Most reactions

Back