Student protest in Montreal

andreanefraser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have never shoot a big protest before and I was pretty curious about it. The opportunity arose earlier this week as I am working here for two weeks. It was pretty peaceful although some of the protesters were there to create problems. Mounted police, bike patrol, and several other groups of police officers kept an eye on about 1900 adult students protesting against tuition increase.

Attachments

• $image-973720718.jpg
    $image-973720718.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 143
  • $image-256550985.jpg
    $image-256550985.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 151
  • $image-4114274046.jpg
    $image-4114274046.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 138
  • $image-461594033.jpg
    $image-461594033.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 135
Knowing teenagers (I am one) I'm sure a good amount of people only went to be involved and don't really care. The guy shooting a bird doesn't even look like someone who would go to college. I am a high school senior and will graduate in may so I feel their pain but at the same time what can they do? Boycott college? How will that help them any?

But pretty cool photos :)

These are from lat night's protest against Police Brutality. Now considering 13 out of the last 15 protests turned violent, I grabbed a 70-200mm f2.8 to keep my distance, which turned out to be a good idea. I followed the protesters on their walk and two hours in, the police declared the gathering illegal after some protesters threw things to the officers. Later on that night police cruisers got flipped over, they also broke a lot of windows downtown, etc.

Attachments

• $image-3367428238.jpg
    $image-3367428238.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 148
  • $image-2701729001.jpg
    $image-2701729001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 124
  • $image-3446117202.jpg
    $image-3446117202.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 130
  • $image-176495087.jpg
    $image-176495087.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Some nice images, the protest turned violent as well you must know. Seems counter productive having a protest against police brutality and then tuning it into a violent protest against the police.

Yes i stuck around Philips Square and notice the gathering on Ste-Catherine St. where they flipped over the police cruisers and attempted to burn them. After the police pushed me with their shields , i decided it was not worth getting myself arrested for documenting the event. After all, this is just a hobby for me.

Yes i stuck around Philips Square and notice the gathering on Ste-Catherine St. where they flipped over the police cruisers and attempted to burn them. After the police pushed me with their shields , i decided it was not worth getting myself arrested for documenting the event. After all, this is just a hobby for me.

But that's 3/4 the fun of documenting protests.

Great decision on walking away, when it gets to this point and you're not a working professional it's not worth the risk.

Great pictures. STUPID protest...

Seriously? They are complaining because there tuition is going to double... from $1600 a year to $3200 a year...

In Ontario, I already pay nearly $6000 a year, and my girlfriend pays over $7000. Their tuition doubled is STILL ONLY HALF~! Get over it.

Seriously? They are complaining because there tuition is going to double... from $1600 a year to $3200 a year...

In Ontario, I already pay nearly $6000 a year, and my girlfriend pays over $7000. Their tuition doubled is STILL ONLY HALF~! Get over it.

Tuition well spent..........it's "their" tuition, not "there" tuiton

You know, carrying a camera and looking like a journalist in a protest feels pretty good, because you can be on both sides of the crowd without feeling awkward. You are meant to be there and people are there to be seen.
Of course, when it's the real deal and you know that crap is going to happen, you just have to prepare yourself with protection. Helmet, pads, eye protection? I don't think the police will harass you, and I don't think the protesters will start attacking you, but getting caught in between is no one's fault but yours.
I don't wish for protests to happen, but I'd love to get more opportunities to capture emotions.

Tuition well spent..........it's "their" tuition, not "there" tuiton

Are you honestly criticizing my grammar? a) I was typing fast without any focus on my grammar or spelling; b) I used the word "their" twice in the sentence and I accidentally typed it incorrectly once; so clearly I KNOW it's "their" not "there" and c) I don't recall saying I was spending $6000 a year on an English degree...

Plus I'm not even entirely sure what your point is. Because I'm a university student I must type every sentence with the utmost care and meticulous spell checking? Have you been to a university? Ever? Half of the people are genuine idiots.

So yeah, my tuition is well spent; and I never claimed that it wasn't. I don't mind spending $6000 a year on my education. I was saying that they should grow up and deal with it and join the rest of us.

For the record; using more than three periods in a row is poor grammar. What you are trying to do is called an ellipsis and it is only three periods. (You also spelled tuition wrong; but only once out of two attempts ;))

Some nice images, the protest turned violent as well you must know. Seems counter productive having a protest against police brutality and then tuning it into a violent protest against the police.

I have never understood this kind of thing. Attacking police and civilian property during a protest over police brutality is kind of like mobs causing millions in damage to their own city after their sports team WINS a game.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, I like the pictures.

Are you honestly criticizing my grammar? a) I was typing fast without any focus on my grammar or spelling; b) I used the word "their" twice in the sentence and I accidentally typed it incorrectly once; so clearly I KNOW it's "their" not "there" and c) I don't recall saying I was spending $6000 a year on an English degree...

Plus I'm not even entirely sure what your point is. Because I'm a university student I must type every sentence with the utmost care and meticulous spell checking? Have you been to a university? Ever? Half of the people are genuine idiots.
Maybe your online name creates a higher expectation ;)

Why would you put a sign people cant read? :lol:

4365d1331897954-student-protest-montreal-image-176495087.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back