Studio Lighting. How does this setup look ?

dbrandon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.viaus.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Basically i'm wanting to delve into the world of studio lighting, starting with getting setup with a softbox. I've had a look around, and cant find a 'kit' which really fits what im after, so i've decided to purchase a flash head, stand, and softbox, all seperately.

I am on a tight budget, and im am really looking to get good value for money. After some reasearch i have come to the conclusion that a Interfit Stellar 600W flash head would fit my needs. Anyone had experience with this particular flash head ? I'm new to lighting, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I also plan to buy this and this, but would these be compatible with the Interfit Stellar head ? Are the fittings universal, or would i need a particular type stand etc ?

Thank you in advance.

Also look into Alienbees. Great product, really great prices. I saved quite a bit with them.

wow quick reply, thank you.

yes i had looked at alienbees, but im in the UK, and they seem to be hard to find over here ?

Be careful when buying softboxes. Every strobe manufacturer has it's own way of connecting a softbox. They are called "speed rings" and you have to make sure that the box you buy will fit. I would check out the interfit site for details.

In uk buy lighting from the well known makes, Bowens, Elinchrome, etc., its false economy buying from unknowns so save up for a suitable kit, also calumet softboxes are reasonable and can be fitted to these makes with a universal adapter/speedring.

Look for lighting kits from these makes and buy the most powerful you can afford, they can always be turned down but never up, good makes will last a lifetime, lesser quality products end up in the bin. A single light is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard in a studio, 2/3 lights are really a minimum, then you'll need to learn how to use them, there are good books and
video/dvd's on the subject in the rear of all photo mags. good luck. H

Thankyou Matt and Harry,

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string question', but for a beginner, what kind of total wattage would you recommend for basic studio type portraits. I had 500 as a figure in my head, only because i can invisage that kind of brightness (from household lights etc). This may be a very silly question, and if so im sorry :wink:

I saw a twin umbrella kit, with 2 300W strobes. This was a good price, but 300 per head sounds a little under powered ?

Hi, just a note.. lighting is one of the places that if you try to cut corners then you will be wasting far more money than you save.

If you can wait a little while and move up to proper strobes then do so. You can improvise with DIY -halogen work lights and stretched bed sheets- until then.

I have a chum who use the halogen work lights from a local b n q, they work pretty good but in smaller rooms the heat becomes unbearable so not ideal for portraiture, strobes are best and you can now buy continuous cool lights but none of my colleagues use them so I cant say what they are like for work. H

We probably have some work lights kicking around. I'll probably give them a go before wasting money ! Then i'll save up and invest in a larger named brand kit, sounds like that is the way to go.

Thanks guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back