Studio Lighting: Where to start?

MarkCSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Up to this point, I've been mostly a natural light type of guy, outdoor creative shoots and what not, I'm looking to invest in some studio lighting for an in-home portrait studio but I'm a bit overwhelmed as to where to start...

I have an SB-600 that I know inside and out and would like to continue to use it and other SB flashes I pick up as I like Nikon's CLS. Not opposed to using different flashes or lighting units though.

I also have a decent bit of space to work with but it's in the basement, so natural light is basically non-existent.

Would an umbrella to use with the SB-600 be a wise start to dip my toes into studio lighting or should I be looking at something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I did a forum search but it mostly turned up C&C threads.

Budget?

How many lights do you consider you'll want?

Have you looked at any other lighting besides hotshoe flash, like monolights?

An umbrella (reflective or shoot through) is a relatively cheap and easy way to modify light.

That would be a good start for sure. i would also look at cheap studio strobes and radio triggers wich is also a good alternative.

Sorry, knew I was forgetting something! I think the budget to start off with would probably be in the $500 range.

As for cheap studio strobes...any brands to look into? Stay away from?

Adorama's Flashpoint strobes or Calumet's Genesis 200 strobes are good for starting.

Many like the AlienBee's from Paul C. Buff.

If you've been shooting in available light you should have a good idea of lighting ratios and styles. Apply that knowledge to studio lights. It works the same, just uses a different light source.

Adorama's Flashpoint strobes or Calumet's Genesis 200 strobes are good for starting.

+1

Start with 1 light. Learn to use it. Add a reflector and learn to use the two together. Add a second light and learn to use them together. Add the reflector back in. And repeat the process until you have all the lights you think you want/need.

Another vote for the Alien Bees.

I am going to semi-hijack this thread not only to help me, but to provide a little info that the original poster may not have thought of.

I would say a minimum number of lights for almost anything you will run into normally doing portraits would be four. One main, one second, one kicker and one background.

Now there are LOTS of monolights to choose from and I too have tossed around the idea of getting a set to use in place of my SB-600s in a studio or where I need a little more power or faster recycling time. The main problem I run into is how much power do I need? 100w/s per head? 200w/s? 400w/s?

Lets narrow this down a bit. Lets say that in my little home studio, and on site indoors for portraits, I am happy with my four SB-600s as far as power is concerned. The only time I would like more power is if I decided to strobe indoor events where the SB-600s would not be quite enough power with too slow of recycle time and would chew through batteries too fast. How much power would I need for that particular situation?

Lets say something like I am at an event where my SB-600s provide enough light, but they are at full power with a 4 sec recycle time. Now I would like to make that same amount of light, but with say 1/2 second recycle time. How many w/s would I need per head (assuming I am using all four SB-600s and wanted to use four monolights)?

Allan

flea77: look for the Nikon battery packs like the SD-8A or SD-9. Not sure if they are compatible with the SB-600, but perhaps something similar.

I agree with flea: four lights is quite standard. I personally think the Adorama Flashpoint 320-M, 150 watt-second monolights are the best entry-level monolight value. Recycle times for various lights are typically given at the 85% recycle time point: industry practice does NOT require studio flash recycle times to be at the 100% level,and MOST companies state the recycle time at 85%.

Today, we have cameras that perform very well with ISO 320 or SO 400 settings...that cuts down on the true need for flash power, and my experience is that indoors, with an ISO 200 base-level camera (like a Nikon), 150 watt-seconds is ample for each light, and in fact, lower fractional power levels like 100,75,50,25 watt-seconds are actually quite useful. The modifiers used for example determine the efficiency of watt-seconds to f/stop. A parabolic 11.5 inch diameter polished reflector at 25 watt-seconds can put out the same f/stop as a 200 watt-second 36x48 inch softbox with internal diffusion baffle. This is one reason why a five- or sic-stop power adjustment range capabilitiy is so,so,so handy on monolights.

Derrel,

Ok then, I went looking for some examples and here is what I found:

Cowboy lighting, 4 strobes, 180w/s each, $430, 5-7 sec recycle, OUCH!
Alienbees B400 x 4, 165w/s each, $900, .5sec recycle, OUCH!
Flashpoint II 320M x 4, 150w/s each, $560, ???? recycle

I love the price of the Cowboy stuff, but the 5-7 sec recycle kills that, might as well use my SB600s. I love the recycle time on the B400s, but the price is pretty steep especially since that includes no stands, umbrellas, cases, nothing. The Flashpoints look fine, but do you have experience with the recycle times?

Allan

+1

+2

I personally invested a little more in a two light setup from Bowens.. But I am Canadian... After shipping and duty, the price was only slightly more. They also have a 200ws kit.

I agree with flea: four lights is quite standard. I personally think the Adorama Flashpoint 320-M, 150 watt-second monolights are the best entry-level monolight value. Recycle times for various lights are typically given at the 85% recycle time point: industry practice does NOT require studio flash recycle times to be at the 100% level,and MOST companies state the recycle time at 85%.

Today, we have cameras that perform very well with ISO 320 or SO 400 settings...that cuts down on the true need for flash power, and my experience is that indoors, with an ISO 200 base-level camera (like a Nikon), 150 watt-seconds is ample for each light, and in fact, lower fractional power levels like 100,75,50,25 watt-seconds are actually quite useful. The modifiers used for example determine the efficiency of watt-seconds to f/stop. A parabolic 11.5 inch diameter polished reflector at 25 watt-seconds can put out the same f/stop as a 200 watt-second 36x48 inch softbox with internal diffusion baffle. This is one reason why a five- or sic-stop power adjustment range capabilitiy is so,so,so handy on monolights.

What mount style does Adorama use for their lights?

Derrel,

Ok then, I went looking for some examples and here is what I found:

Cowboy lighting, 4 strobes, 180w/s each, $430, 5-7 sec recycle, OUCH!
Alienbees B400 x 4, 165w/s each, $900, .5sec recycle, OUCH!
Flashpoint II 320M x 4, 150w/s each, $560, ???? recycle

I love the price of the Cowboy stuff, but the 5-7 sec recycle kills that, might as well use my SB600s. I love the recycle time on the B400s, but the price is pretty steep especially since that includes no stands, umbrellas, cases, nothing. The Flashpoints look fine, but do you have experience with the recycle times?

Allan

Stay away from Cowboy's equipment. They offer a 30 day warranty:
CowboyStudio Photography Lighting | Studio Equipment | Studio Accessories

Calumet Genesis offer a one year, as should most brands. I like the Genesis lights as they use the Elinchrom mount, which gives you immediate access to their modifiers and would make a nice upgrade path.

But don't let that stop you, you can get all types of adapters. I'm using an Alien Bee mount beauty dish on speedotron blackline lights with an adapter. I'm going to be purchasing the Elinchrom deep octabox and an adapter for my lights.

Also, are you going to be shooting inside all the time? It's an added expense in the future to purchase a battery, but being able to use more powerful strobes outdoors opens you up to all kinds of new opportunities.

Well the Cowboy stuff was out as soon as I saw the recycle time, I can do better with SB600s!

The Calumet stuff has a reasonable recycle time but are more expensive than Alien Bees which recycle faster but are slightly less powerful. It looks like the Flashpoints are the best bang for the buck to start with.

Thanks for all the input!

Allan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back