STUDIO LIGHTING

Bubbles22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read so much on this!!!!!!!!!!! But I can't decide. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a few softboxes for my tiny in home studio set up. I really just want some opinions on the type you all have used, if they prefer them over umbrellas. I hate making money decisions and this hobby is all about making them! UGH!!! I just want to take my kiddo's pics so any advice is welcome. All I have right now is my SB-800 and I know I can bounce it and use umbrellas, but I thought soft boxes might just be easier. I want to spend under $300 since I'm new...
Thanks in advance, I do appreciate any advice, opinions.

What studio lights are you going to use with your softboxes, because a softbox is a light modifier or do you mean a softbox to fit your SB-800 ?

Soft boxes constrain the light to one direction, whereas umbrellas tend to spill the light all around. Both can work very well in many situations, but there are situations where you would want to keep the light from bouncing all around the room...especially if you are shooting in a smaller room.

The softness of the light is determined by the size of the light source and the proximity to the subject...and it would take a rather large softbox to equal the size of an average umbrella.

Each combination of light (flash) and modifier will give your light different characteristics. Sometimes it's how evenly the light is spread across the area. Often, the difference can be seen in the way the light falls/feathers off at the edges. Some people are quite attune to this, while others are not.

I'd suggest starting with an umbrella, as it's a cheap and easy modifier to use.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
$300 isn't much of a lighting budget, but, if you've already got the SB 800, than this is what I would suggest to go with it. There is a difference between the light from a soft-box and an umbrella (as well as a difference between shoot-through and bounce umbrellas), but I think this stand will be a good start.

tirediron, I know it isn't a big budget it is a hobby it is hard to explain to my husband why I need to spend more. He keeps asking if I'm going to take pictures for other families but I'm no where near there and to be honest don't know if I'll ever get there. So the $300.00 is a good point to start.

$300 isn't much of a lighting budget, but, if you've already got the SB 800, than this is what I would suggest to go with it. There is a difference between the light from a soft-box and an umbrella (as well as a difference between shoot-through and bounce umbrellas), but I think this stand will be a good start.

You can source an umbrella, stand, and mount adapter for about $75 on B&H. There's no way I'd pay $189 for that and a case, even if it did say Canon on it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess I mean the continuous soft boxes. I was looking into something like this...Amazon.com: CowboyStudio 2275 Watt Digital Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit BOOM Set with Carrying Case - 2 Light stands, 2 Softboxes, 1 Boom Kit: Camera & Photo. But I'm not sure if that is the best bang for my buck. I'm just trying to get the best lighting in a small area.
[h=1][/h]
There is no such thing as a 'continuous' softbox. The light inside the box might be continuous or flash/strobe, but the softbox is just the modifier.

If you are still deciding between flash and continuous...then take a step back and don't worry about umbrellas or softboxes just yet. First you need to decide if you want continuous lighting. You mentioned your SB-800, so I figured you were going to use flash/strobe and not continuous. You certainly shouldn't try to mix the two, as it will cause more problems that it solves.

Take it from me continuous is nowhere as good as flash. When you are taking pics of kids you're gonna wish you can have a higher shutter speed. Although its cheaper you will have more problems. I would go with the umbrella its cheaper. Or how is your craft skills. You could make a soft box. All you need is a disposable cooler and some white fabric.

I'd suggest starting with an umbrella, as it's a cheap and easy modifier to use.
This to start off with. I would also add a reflector/difusser as well, but you'll still need a stand and adapter bracket. Build up your gear as your experience, needs and budget dictates.

or you could hide a hundred away a month then buy a studio lighting kit after a while. Thats what I did

this is a total side note - but I have purchased from cowboy studio before and it was (in my humble opinion) a joke. Stuff was not sent correctly, it took weeks for a refund and even then the full amount was not correct. The gear that was sent was so cheap it bent asap. After a while I gave up and just repurchased from somewhere else. My friend, did not have a problem- but thats my story. : )

You can source an umbrella, stand, and mount adapter for about $75 on B&H. There's no way I'd pay $189 for that and a case, even if it did say Canon on it.
Ehhh... okay, I wasn't totally clear; I meant a set-up like that. That was just the first one I came across, and yeah, having 'Nikon' on the umbrella is NOT worth $100!

Ehhh... okay, I wasn't totally clear; I meant a set-up like that. That was just the first one I came across, and yeah, having 'Nikon' on the umbrella is NOT worth $100!

It's OK, your Canadian and don't speak good English.

;)

this is a total side note - but I have purchased from cowboy studio before and it was (in my humble opinion) a joke. Stuff was not sent correctly, it took weeks for a refund and even then the full amount was not correct. The gear that was sent was so cheap it bent asap. After a while I gave up and just repurchased from somewhere else. My friend, did not have a problem- but thats my story. : )

Agree. I'm not a fan of Cowboy at all. I've never purchased from them, but I know those that have been screwed. They were also using the Strobist brand name to sell their crap without DH's consent. If you buy cheap, you're going to end up buying often.

Most reactions

Back