Studio Portraits

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well sort of. One of the clubs at my university threw an international fashion show and I volunteered my skills to help out. This was my first time setting up all this gear and trying it on someone else rather than my wife. I dropped an SB600 a meager 3 feet and it broke so I was limited to two flashes. I had one SB600 shooting into a 45" umbrella at the background and another camera left (and right) shooting into an umbrella at the subjects.

Settings were ISO 1000 (I once again to check my ISO before shooting), 1/200 and somewhere between F/6.3-8.0.

4631169444_82bf1f6a4f_b.jpg

4630557427_50640b5fe4_b.jpg

4631161764_a2367b052e_b.jpg

4630566271_a12a5cefcf_b.jpg

These are very good. I feel that #1 she looks a little bit awkward, and in #2 and #3 there could be a touch more light on the faces (probably a reflector down low to lift the shadows would have helped). #4 looks excellent.

Well done I would say, though I'm no expert at this type of shooting. I dare say that the people will be happy with the shot.

I like these!! Only comment I have is that in the 1st two, near the feet there
seems to be a wrinkled white sheet - is that what it is? easy enough to fix.

Thanks for the comments! I know my lighting isn't the best but I'm quite pleased considering the events of the evening (I still get a bit heated when I think of my broken strobe). I'm quite confident that the club will like the images and will be able to put them to good use.

On the first two I think those wrinkles you're refering to are from the shadows being thrown every which way.

And the last one is my favorite of the night! He came up and I told him to look like he's in the mob. That's the first pose he did and it worked perfect! I just converted to B&W and I think I like it a bit better.

As far as the lighting, does anyone have any suggestions? This was the most stressed I've ever been on a shoot. I'm more comfortable with natural light but it was a great learning experience!

I think they're all pretty good shots. Not sure about the white background on the first two, but it works REALLY good on the last one.

Is it the shadows? Or does it not look completely white? I didn't notice any disappating light on the background but I may be slightly biased :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back