Studio Work: S5 Pro or D300?

thanos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
G'day. Recently posted a thread in the Beyond the Basics forums in regard to setting up a studio; quick rundown; started a new job and after seeing my skills (limited but functional) now they want me to take care of their studio work, have about 6-7 grand to play with to get a full set-up. Thread link here for anyone who can help in regards to setting up a studio or studio tips in general; http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1145981&posted=1#post1145981 But to the meat of my question; I know alot of mid-range studio photographers have the S5 Pro adn swear by it for its fantastic colour rendtion (which is also a paramount consideration in regards to my subjects) and various other aspects which make it such a good wedding/studio camera. But after a fact finding mission at my local photo continental I was blown away by the recent D300; screen, live view and the quality of images produced by the new sensor. Now I shoot both frame mouldings and miscellaneous hardware related to the framing industry and for another company, shiny as well as matte and/or glossy resin trophies of varying size. So what do reckon then? I can afford either and will be getting the 105mm vr macro to boot, but people with experience with one of both (especially the new d300 in comparative terms); any input would be appreciated. Cheers

The S5 Pro is a few years old now, I would go with the D300, I have used both and they are nice, but I own the D300 and it is a fantastic camera, I use it in studio alll the time

I say 4x5 view camera and a film scanner.

The shifts and tilts are key for square subject where there could be converging verticals, and a film scanner will pick up more information from a 4x5 scan than a 12 mp sensor.

if you absolutly need to shoot small format, S5 no question. The sensor is phenomenal, and you don't need 8 fps.

Shoot RAW and you'll get stunning quality images in the highlights from an S3 or S5 that no standard CCD or CMOS can touch.

I would also use prime lenses.

I think a 4x5 might be a little over the top for someone that has 'limited but functional' photography skills. A Perspective control lens might be a little more functional in a studio scenario, plus you can shoot tethered to a computer and it'll take one pretty large step out of developing and scanning. At 105mm you might not even have a perspective issue either, but I'm not certain on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back