Style, tell me about yours

OK, kathythorsenprettyladywhohelpspeopleandtakesphotos, I've seen them all. I see two distinct yet not dis-similar styles based on what you are shooting. For clients you are looking for moments that mean something to them and your technique and pp enhance what you hope is how they feel. Your personal work is similar in this fashion, except you do an excellent job of making the viewer feel what you were feeling. Be it cold and alone in the forest and cold water shots or surrounded by people and vibrancy in the parade shots. Basically instead of shooting moments in time you shoot moments in emotion. Even the building tear down had at least some melancholy to it.

Wow! You went through ALL of them. You are an overachiever. That was a very nice critique and honest evaluation of my work, both professional and personal work. It is interesting to hear others thoughts on a bigger body of work. Thank you. I will pay it forward to someone else.

I've often pondered "my style" but I think it is still a work in progress.
I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on my work Kathy, I think we come from very different places and it would be very interesting. If you are up for it here is a link to my favourites ;)

My Favourites - a set on Flickr

"I can shoot whatever style you want. Just show me some examples."

Now that's a person with confidence! You get a like.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on my work Kathy, I think we come from very different places and it would be very interesting. If you are up for it here is a link to my favourites ;)

I liked you favorites. I'm glad you made a portfolio of your best work. That is a lesson some of the members here could apply.

I was impressed with Ansel Adams, but know that I'll never have the skill or equipment to pull off what he was capable of. I was influenced by Minor White and one of my college instructors Arthur Taussig. I still plan on doing B&W 'work', and just nice snapshots in color, possibly trying some HDR shots someday.

I often choose colour films that produce slightly soft, pastel-like hues, and B&W films which have creamy tonality. Most of my photography is shot with 50mm lenses, which reproduce my subjects with a degree of reality, make me think more about the basics and help me keep things simple. Since I have opposable thumbs, I like to use cameras with film advance levers. I'm not sure if this last point has much to do with style, but in a world that is changing at breathtaking speed, it gives me something to hold on to.

my latest thing has been wide angle people shots. it's not at all feature flattering, and you gotta work around/with a lot of perspective distortion. but it's a style that i found i really like. I get to shoot up close and personal, and i can really pull in some context (along with a whole lot of other background, which can go good or bad). how i got this "style" is i closed my ears, and just looked for something that I liked, independent from any observed praise, cc, or other external feedback. in the end i think i found something that truly excites my aesthetic pallet.

here are a couple from the last month or so:
i-RVCx85k-M.jpg
i-4ss7jxZ-M.jpg
i-N3gNDnF-M.jpg
i-hdC28Th-M.jpg
i-fwnxCCd-M.jpg
i-tB4phfs-M.jpg
i-vX8fdwt-M.jpg
i-THpLgrT-M.jpg
i-xdcMCBD-M.jpg
i-q5x8LTF-M.jpg

Last edited:

Before I went to your favorites, I went and looked through your past work and WOW has your style really evolved. Your work is very appealing on a few different levels. Your subject matter is extremely creative, and your use of contrast really accentuates that. All of your content had very rich, vivid colors which was very pleasing to the eye. Very fitting and by no means looked artificial. Your style is very pure and bold. Natural in subject matter, yet abstract in thought processes. A very enjoyable Flickr photographer to follow for sure. I am in love with the shot of the dragonflies, I think they were dragonflies, in the really soft light. The date on that image was 3/13/12.

Hmm...I think my style is evolving, but I'd say right now feel like I'm an emotional shooter, and hunt expressive photos more than anything. And with editing, I prefer a clean edit with vivid colors. I dabble now and then with softer, lighter edits & sometimes textures. I'm planning on experimenting with more dramatic lighting in the near future, which may in turn take my editing somewhere else entirely.

My style is evolving. I lean more to the edgy stuff and boudoir. I like contrast in in a pic. For example, some one in a ball dress sitting in the woods. I can transform to what is needed, but more happy shooting in a contrast or edgy. Don't know what it is called.

I don't even know if I have a style. If somebody could look at my Flickr photostream, they're welcome to tell me what style I use! :)

My "Style" is to recreate what I see with my eyes, and what I see with my eyes is in color but not oversaturated, it has no wide-angle distortion, it has no yellow tint to it, it has no tilt to it. My eyes may be capable of high dynamic range when compared to my camera, however it is not that garish, neon, overcooked "Stuff". My eyes are capable of seeing subtle details in shading and gradation, and they are capable of capturing fine detail. There is no soft focus or Vaseline-on-the filter nonsense.

My eyes are not perfect though. Rather than post-process what I see my glasses pre-process everything. The results are much more pleasing to me so I can live with that.

And, my photography is not my "Work". I don't show people my "Work" I show them my photographs.

It seems weird to me to ask a question that you hate.

I agree- totally weird!

For me, it's because it's something I have a hard time explaining. Maybe because I'm still early in developing something that's ME or maybe it's the fact that we deal in visual arts, that, IMO arent meant to be explained.

Good discussion so far! Thank you everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back