Style, tell me about yours

I need to add my new Flickr to my sig. The one in there now is a MESS. It's a good way for me to look back at how far I've come.

anyone is free to have a look at what's currently there. Just be nice ;)

I've often pondered "my style" but I think it is still a work in progress.
I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on my work Kathy, I think we come from very different places and it would be very interesting. If you are up for it here is a link to my favourites ;)

My Favourites - a set on Flickr

I liked you favorites. I'm glad you made a portfolio of your best work. That is a lesson some of the members here could apply.
Thanks so much for your kind words and taking a look! It took me quite a while to sort through my first year's shots and pick those out, I'm sure it can be pared down a little more but I had a hard time since I shoot so many different things at this point. I have to say that once I did go through it all it felt good to have an idea of where I felt I went right and where to reach further and explore :)
I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on my work Kathy, I think we come from very different places and it would be very interesting. If you are up for it here is a link to my favourites ;)

Before I went to your favorites, I went and looked through your past work and WOW has your style really evolved. Your work is very appealing on a few different levels. Your subject matter is extremely creative, and your use of contrast really accentuates that. All of your content had very rich, vivid colors which was very pleasing to the eye. Very fitting and by no means looked artificial. Your style is very pure and bold. Natural in subject matter, yet abstract in thought processes. A very enjoyable Flickr photographer to follow for sure. I am in love with the shot of the dragonflies, I think they were dragonflies, in the really soft light. The date on that image was 3/13/12.

Thanks soooo much Kathy! It was kinda funny, last night as I was laying in bed drifting off I heard some notifications come in so of course I checked them, you were wayyyy back in my photostream and I was thinking omg... what's she doing back there??? That's stuff from the beginning **insert a little panic** teehee

Thanks for taking the time to do that though! You literally went through my first year and a little bit of photography :) It is great to hear my stuff is becoming cohesive and my style is starting to emerge. Some of the things you said ring very true especially "natural subject matter and abstract in thought process".

I think I know the shot you are talking about, it is actually a grasshopper on the seed pod at the tip of the grass and one of the macro shots I'm most happy with :)

And, my photography is not my "Work". I don't show people my "Work" I show them my photographs.
I never know what to call it, when I call it "my work" it feels rather pretentious (but I still tend to use it silly girl) "my shots" sounds like a vacation shooter, "my stuff" is careless, "my photography" feels formal and impersonal .... now simply saying "my photographs" I like!!

I liked you favorites. I'm glad you made a portfolio of your best work. That is a lesson some of the members here could apply.
Thanks so much for your kind words and taking a look! It took me quite a while to sort through my first year's shots and pick those out, I'm sure it can be pared down a little more but I had a hard time since I shoot so many different things at this point. I have to say that once I did go through it all it felt good to have an idea of where I felt I went right and where to reach further and explore :)

Before I went to your favorites, I went and looked through your past work and WOW has your style really evolved. Your work is very appealing on a few different levels. Your subject matter is extremely creative, and your use of contrast really accentuates that. All of your content had very rich, vivid colors which was very pleasing to the eye. Very fitting and by no means looked artificial. Your style is very pure and bold. Natural in subject matter, yet abstract in thought processes. A very enjoyable Flickr photographer to follow for sure. I am in love with the shot of the dragonflies, I think they were dragonflies, in the really soft light. The date on that image was 3/13/12.

Thanks soooo much Kathy! It was kinda funny, last night as I was laying in bed drifting off I heard some notifications come in so of course I checked them, you were wayyyy back in my photostream and I was thinking omg... what's she doing back there??? That's stuff from the beginning **insert a little panic** teehee

Thanks for taking the time to do that though! You literally went through my first year and a little bit of photography :) It is great to hear my stuff is becoming cohesive and my style is starting to emerge. Some of the things you said ring very true especially "natural subject matter and abstract in thought process".

I think I know the shot you are talking about, it is actually a grasshopper on the seed pod at the tip of the grass and one of the macro shots I'm most happy with :)

I love the grasshopper one too, but this one say, "Playing in the light." It has many bugs in it, and a very shallow DOF.

Ooooh! Ok I know which one it is now :) It is one of my favourites also and not sure why it isn't in the fav's set! The bugs are about double the size of a mosquito and they swarm, when I was shooting this I ended up with some with motion blur and it sent me off to explore longer exposures :)

I need to add my new Flickr to my sig. The one in there now is a MESS. It's a good way for me to look back at how far I've come.

anyone is free to have a look at what's currently there. Just be nice ;)

Haha yours is like mine but with much less photos, I see your 177 photo mess and raise you 1007(ish) lol!

I'm going to continue to go through yours but my very first impression is you seem to consistently convey a peaceful feeling with the people you shoot, there is a feeling of comfort and ease that shines through :)

Ooooh! Ok I know which one it is now :) It is one of my favourites also and not sure why it isn't in the fav's set! The bugs are about double the size of a mosquito and they swarm, when I was shooting this I ended up with some with motion blur and it sent me off to explore longer exposures :)

Yes! This one. Get this fine number over in your favorites set! I just love it. I can just imagine sitting on my back deck in the morning, drinking coffee with Kahlua in it, and seeing this buzzing around in the corn field. :)

I wish I had all my shots all together in one spot to do something like this. I've got them scattered in at least four different places at the moment. I should follow up on my original plan of putting my favorites up on my 500px page.

Ya'll can feel free to do that with the 1000s of pictures on MY flickr--it would at least cure any tendencies towards insomnia, lol. Just do me a favor--if the words you'd use to describe my photos is something like "ugh," "mediocre hack" or "why does she bother" don't post it here--you can PM me and tell me I'm a mediocre hack, just don't publicize it. :lmao:

Oh--and I'd be HAPPY to do a "Best of" portfolio--if only I had a clue what my best shots really are. I am a terrible judge of my own "work." And now, every time I use the word "work" in relation to my photography, I'm going to think about Scott. :lol:

I don't even know if I have a style. If somebody could look at my Flickr photostream, they're welcome to tell me what style I use! :)

You have been very impressed by the 'big' look and the deeply saturated colors that come with the change from day into night or reverse. Most of your pictures, if the scene were in real life, would end in someone taking a big sigh and saying, 'Isn't that amazing color?' Your pictures aren't expansive and depend the combination of scene and color for impact. The content isn't meaningful necessarily but relaxing and soothing.

That doesn't mean that if I were in your locale, I would shoot the same thing, but I understand what you are seeing and recording.

I don't even know if I have a style. If somebody could look at my Flickr photostream, they're welcome to tell me what style I use! :)

You have been very impressed by the 'big' look and the deeply saturated colors that come with the change from day into night or reverse. Most of your pictures, if the scene were in real life, would end in someone taking a big sigh and saying, 'Isn't that amazing color?' Your pictures aren't expansive and depend the combination of scene and color for impact. The content isn't meaningful necessarily but relaxing and soothing.

That doesn't mean that if I were in your locale, I would shoot the same thing, but I understand what you are seeing and recording.

Thanks. Yes, I love landscapes and I do oversaturate my images. Your feedback is quite interesting and insightful. Glad you could take a look. :)

Ya'll can feel free to do that with the 1000s of pictures on MY flickr--it would at least cure any tendencies towards insomnia, lol. Just do me a favor--if the words you'd use to describe my photos is something like "ugh," "mediocre hack" or "why does she bother" don't post it here--you can PM me and tell me I'm a mediocre hack, just don't publicize it. :lmao:

Oh--and I'd be HAPPY to do a "Best of" portfolio--if only I had a clue what my best shots really are. I am a terrible judge of my own "work." And now, every time I use the word "work" in relation to my photography, I'm going to think about Scott. :lol:

I tried looking at your photostream and I couldn't make heads or tails out of where you were going or where you had been.
Many of your shots of living things were dead center accurate reproductions of what you saw, as if you were satisfied with just getting it sharp.
The other shots showed a great deal more creativity, use of color and form and the general composition was better.

Just like I am doing now, I think you need to sort out for yourself what you like the best and put that into one folder or a set of folders of images you like best.

I dont think I have a distinct style yet. I have spent time just getting the basics down in as many areas as I could, trying new things ive never shot before so I can be well rounded. As I progress I will start tightening the circle of what i shoot, and as I go along i try many diffrent processing styles to help improve my PP skills and to just try new things in general. Id send you to my Flickr but its a mess right now lol. if anyone wants to go to my facebook page there more then welcome. https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

I think there are at least two different words being tossed around here.

Style - the common thing that connects my pictures together (I shoot only slide film, I like wide angle landscapes, etc)
Style - a strong visual theme which most objective viewers would agree makes some group of images look similar

or something like that. These two overlap, but the fact that you shoot film, or like saturated colors isn't generally enough to make a randomly selected viewer say 'aha, yes, those images all look similar'

It's not clear to me what people would even mean when they ask 'what's your style?' It's possible they're just trying to make small talk and it doesn't mean a thing.

Style in the *second* sense is a good part of what sells, both commercially and in the art world. The ability to produce More Work That Looks Like That is critical to a pretty broad class of working photographers (and other artists).

Most reactions

Back