Styles of Filter, which to choose

Craddosk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Question concerning filters,

When purchasing filters, there is the option for square vs. screw filters, which one would be better?

I realize a circular polarizer is better as it must be turned to change the amount of polarization, but what about neutral density? I haven't looked at Graduated filters, but I would assume they are best square so you can adjust exactly where the center sits.

What's your thoughts on something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rs_GSND_Neutral_Density_Polyester_Filter.html

What kind of holder would you purchase for something like this?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292652-REG/LEE_Filters_ST1SET_Starter_Set_ST1SET.html#features

One advantage of a square filter system is that all you need is the holder/ring if you have multiple systems, and the size of the filter tends to be large enough for most of your lenses.
You do not end up with the same filter in different diameters.

CPL and ND filters, I would suggest screw on. For GNDs, I think to get the rectangle filters because you can position the gradient where you want on the horizon of your composition. The holder is nice, but not required. If you're only getting one ND or GND, consider a three stop as a start.

Just my 2¢.

Ok, I realized that the square filters would fit most applications (B&H said up to 82mm). And that is definitely a plus. Though, while many say the best filter is usually the highest priced, what's the thoughts on LEE Filters Neutral Density Polyester Filter Set (0.3, 0.6, & 0.9) with Gel Snap Holder. Polyester filter set? Wouldn't that be the same as a plastic bottle (slightly higher quality)?

Singh-Ray has a 9 stop (I think) ND screw on filter.... apparently the dog's bollucks.

Rectangular filters:
If you have the budget, look at Lee, Singh-Ray and Hitech.

If you're budget minded, check out Cokin.

If you go with a rectangle filter system and holder, you also need an adapter ring to fit your lens.

Ok the benefits have been stated and must say the benefit for ND Grad filters go without saying. A NDGrad filter is quite useless in my opinion if it can't be moved around.

One downside especially reading kundalini's post, and in my experience using the Cokin filter holder: The dark filters like IR or strong ND filters can be problematic as this system does not form a solid seal against the lens like screw on filters do. The problem occurs when light hits the filter from the side. With a 10second IR exposure a tiny spec of dust blew out quite dramatically on the sensor.

The workaround is easy, a dark lightproof cloth over the filter, but it is a hassle worth mentioning nonetheless.

Most reactions

Back