Suggest gear for Nikon 5100

Hi Michael,

It seems that you're having second thoughts on your purchase ;) (just saw your sign)

On a serious note I did the same thing on DXO, The factors slightly against 35mm were Chr. Aberration & Distortion (but acceptable)
My decision parameter for 50mm was since it was a FX lens and can serve me once I plan to upgrade to a FX Camera
Further because of its slightly bigger focal length it can yield better portraits/ Closeups

Regards

Yep, too tight and not as sharp as 35mm. Buy the 35mm, you can sell it next time. Don't worry.

EchoingWhisper said:
Yep, too tight and not as sharp as 35mm. Buy the 35mm, you can sell it next time. Don't worry.

The 50 isn't all that tight - what situations do you find its too tight in?

EchoingWhisper said:

The 50 isn't all that tight - what situations do you find its too tight in?

Not really very tight but quite tight and too tight for a normal lens. 50mm works as a nice portrait lens in DX.

This is a very interesting thread because I'm also looking at buying some new equipment. I already know I'm buying a flash and a prime; it's WHICH prime that is throwing me. One day, I'm absolutely convinced it's gonna be the 50mm f/1.8G and then the next day I decide that's a mistake and I should get the 35.

So, I've been reading the votes for, against, comparisons and opinions with great interest! Unfortunately, I don't know about the OP, but neither MTVision, Echoing Whisper, or anyone else has convinced me to settle on one side of the fence yet.

This is a very interesting thread because I'm also looking at buying some new equipment. I already know I'm buying a flash and a prime; it's WHICH prime that is throwing me. One day, I'm absolutely convinced it's gonna be the 50mm f/1.8G and then the next day I decide that's a mistake and I should get the 35.

So, I've been reading the votes for, against, comparisons and opinions with great interest! Unfortunately, I don't know about the OP, but neither MTVision, Echoing Whisper, or anyone else has convinced me to settle on one side of the fence yet.

It is really depends though. If you shoot in a more controlled environment/well prepared situation, I'd recommend the 50mm. If not, you should go with the 35mm.

Do you have any thoughts of ever moving to a full frame body?

sm4him said:

I don't have either lens so I can't really say. I'm not going to recommend either lens because I don't have them. But I have the 50 1.4 and I don't find it tight at all - for anything. If your doing landscapes - you'll probably want something wider. 35 wouldn't be a typical wide angle lens on a dx camera. I have a 40mm lens as well and there isn't all that much difference between that and the 50 so I wouldn't think the 35 would make that much of a difference.

If you already have a kit lens then figure out what you want. Leave it on 35 for a day then on 50. Who cares if the 35 is a little sharper wide open - would you be shooting wide open all the time. Just be aware the 35 has some CA from what I've heard. The 50mm 1.8g is one of the best 50's for Nikons - it also has an aspherical element which is use to correct CA, I believe.

There are tons of reviews out there but you are probably better off either asking opinions of people who have BOTH lenses and/or deciding what focal length you like.

EchoingWhisper said:
It is really depends though. If you shoot in a more controlled environment/well prepared situation, I'd recommend the 50mm. If not, you should go with the 35mm.

But why?

In the above mentioned link, I would say that I will not be taking such close shots with 35mm to reach such distortion level
I would be taking some product shots with the prime lens. Would want the background be out of focus so that it doesn't accentuate much

50mm would go near the subject much more without getting intimate with the subject
What do you think?

iankur said:
In the above mentioned link, I would say that I will not be taking such close shots with 35mm to reach such distortion level
I would be taking some product shots with the prime lens. Would want the background be out of focus so that it doesn't accentuate much

50mm would go near the subject much more without getting intimate with the subject
What do you think?

I just did some shots with a 50mm, 40mm and a kit at 35mm at varying distances. I have to upload them but I can post them if you want to see what they different views look like side by side.

Also Since I am having my kit lens I can try the same on 35mm and 50mm and shoot in the same environment to see, what say?

iankur said:

What do you think?

I just did some shots with a 50mm, 40mm and a kit at 35mm at varying distances. I have to upload them but I can post them if you want to see what they different views look like side by side.

Yeah.. Pls share

If your going to compare shots for distortion you should only compare them when they are taken from the same distance.
The last shot was taken alot closer to him. The amount of perspective distortion is determined by the distance from the subject to camera, ie. the smaller the distance, the greater the effect.

Longer focal length lenses, like 50mm or more, allow a head & shoulders type portrait to be taken farther from the subject than a short lens, such as the 35mm.
While it's technically the distance from the subject that causes it, the "big nose effect" is generally blamed on wide lenses because people typically use them closer to the subject.

I'm going to upload in a second. I took them from the same distances - around 11ft, 5ft and around 1ft

Most reactions

New Topics

Back