Suggest gear for Nikon 5100

EchoingWhisper said:
It is really depends though. If you shoot in a more controlled environment/well prepared situation, I'd recommend the 50mm. If not, you should go with the 35mm.

But why?

In a controlled environment, you don't need to worry about it being to tight. With the 35mm, you can opt to go wider, or I could crop. Indoors, you might need the 35mm. I always find myself standing further and further to compose, more than what I'm comfortable with.

Please also comment on:

Zoom lens-- Already have kit lens 18-55mm, what should compliment it with good quality (brand is not a concern here)
Usage: Architecture, Outdoor Portraits/Weddings etc
I have 55-200mm in mind but the decision is lot more theory based rather than practical ie. I have never used this one

Bag-- I like backpacks but have been told not to use one because of high accessibility time
My Choice Till now: KATA 467i : Kata KT DR-467I-BB Digital Rucksack (Black) KT DR-467I-BB B&H

Tripod-- Would need a cheap yet sturdy option
My Choice till now: Sunpak 6600DX : Sunpak 6600DX Digital Tripod (Black) 620-660 B&H Photo Video

iankur said:
My Choice till now: Sunpak 6600DX : Sunpak 6600DX Digital Tripod (Black) 620-660 B&H Photo Video

Well I have the 6600pro by sunpak and wish I'd saved my money for something of a higher quality. It's not as sturdy as you hope. I'm not totally let down by my purchase but would in hindsight been better off waiting a spell longer to buy something better.

iankur said:

Well I have the 6600pro by sunpak and wish I'd saved my money for something of a higher quality. It's not as sturdy as you hope. I'm not totally let down by my purchase but would in hindsight been better off waiting a spell longer to buy something better.

Can you share your choice in "something better" :)

Regarding the Zoom Lens :

55-200mm vs 70-300mm

Nikon - AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
Sigma - 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS for Nikon F
Tamron - SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for Nikon F

PLEASE COMMENT

Please also comment on:

Zoom lens-- Already have kit lens 18-55mm, what should compliment it with good quality (brand is not a concern here)
I have 55-200mm in mind but the decision is lot more theory based rather than practical ie. I have never used this one

Bag-- I like backpacks but have been told not to use one because of high accessibility time
My Choice Till now: KATA 467i : Kata KT DR-467I-BB Digital Rucksack (Black) KT DR-467I-BB B&H

If you need to have a faster zoom lens, I suggest the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8. As for the 55-200mm, don't go for it, go for the 55-300mm, similar sharpness (at 55-200), more zoom and better VR.

Please also comment on:

If you need to have a faster zoom lens, I suggest the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8. As for the 55-200mm, don't go for it, go for the 55-300mm, similar sharpness (at 55-200), more zoom and better VR.

But Don't you think that it does not justify ~$200 addition in price

Please also comment on:

But Don't you think that it does not justify ~$200 addition in price

The 70-300mm is also a good idea. I suspect it has much better build quality because the 55-200mm isn't built strong.

iankur said:

Sorry, not yet. I'll be making that decision in the future.

iankur said:

Sorry, not yet. I'll be making that decision in the future.

For < $100 I have shortlisted:

Sunpak Ultra 757TM Tripod/Monopod with 3-Way Fluid Effect Head (Quick Release) - Supports 11 lbs (5kg)
Sunpak Ultra 757TM Tripod/Monopod with 3-Way Head 620-757TM B&H

Zeikos 77" 3-Section Heavy-Duty Aluminum Photo & Video Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head
Zeikos 77" 3-Section Heavy-Duty Aluminum Photo ZE-TR201P

Davis & Sanford MagnumXG Tripod W/FX12 Head
Davis & Sanford MagnumXG Tripod W/FX12 Head MAGNUMXG B&H Photo

Most reactions

Back