Suggested feature - forum jargon buster

If a person is ambitious enough to see an acronym they don't know and go look it up chances are they are going to be a better student.

And if they have to face the terror of a large foam covered arm pushing them into a pit of muddy, bacteria infested water.. well, just proves their level of commitment. Lol

Go ahead. Google "oof" and see what you get. It IS more than you might be looking for, but not in any photography-related way. ;-)

I searched "oof meaning photography"

First result: List of abbreviations in photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Helps if you know how to use google ;)

I'm fairly well acquainted with using search engines, including Google, thanks.
But, since my attempt at lightheartedness was apparently missed, I *will* say that you can't just presume everyone WILL make an extensive search for an unknown term, nor can you just assume that they will NOT simply type in "oof" if they DO search for it.
And I'd rather TPF had the philosophy of making it EASY to educate people about photography, rather than the philosophy that if you aren't willing to do your own searches for every term you're not familiar with, then we're not going to help you.

Yes, it would be ideal if everyone would look these unknown terms up for themselves and learn MORE than just what the initials stand for. And SOME will do that. But--some won't. Some come here and they are new to the world of photography, and frankly, they aren't really even SURE how "involved" they want to get. They aren't likely to care enough initially to go looking up every unfamiliar term. But if there was an EASY way for them to see what those terms mean--well, it MIGHT just help GET them interested in pursuing things more seriously.

I'm fairly well acquainted with using search engines, including Google, thanks.

Google? Huh. Is that something new?

But, since my attempt at lightheartedness was apparently missed, I *will* say that you can't just presume everyone WILL make an extensive search for an unknown term, nor can you just assume that they will NOT simply type in "oof" if they DO search for it.

Wait, you tried to use humor... here?

And I'd rather TPF had the philosophy of making it EASY to educate people about photography, rather than the philosophy that if you aren't willing to do your own searches for every term you're not familiar with, then we're not going to help you.

Ok.. so, maybe just do the Ninja Warrior thing on weekends then?

But then what about non native English speakers? To me, that's the same thing. Will you help me by explaining every English word I don't know?

I come across a dozen of "not known to me" English words almost every day and what do I do, I google them. I don't expect anyone will have a patience to explain me something simple as one word or abbreviation. I do search the term by myself.

If I have further trouble with understanding what google has to say because some words do have multiple meanings (you wouldn't believe stuff I find searching for more detailed explanations :blushing:) then I'll ask someone to clarify the true meaning... after I made some effort in understanding something I don't know.

But then what about non native English speakers? To me, that's the same thing. Will you help me by explaining every English word I don't know?

I am happy to help. Sometimes I have to look something up in a "slang" dictionary, or try to find the modern "urban" meaning, but just ask.

Yes.

(Yes: exclamation - 1. used to give an affirmative response.)

If I have further trouble with understanding what google has to say because some words do have multiple meanings (you wouldn't believe stuff I find searching for more detailed explanations :blushing:) then I'll ask someone to clarify the true meaning... after I made some effort in understanding something I don't know.

English is one of those languages. For some reason we like to use one word for 6 different things, and then just to make things fun we also have plenty of occurences where we have 6 different words that all mean basically the same thing.

I guess my thought process is, if you are trying to explain something to someone you want to make it as straightforward as possible. So if I'm speaking with someone who's native language is different than my own, well I don't mind if they need me to explain a term or a phrase that maybe they are unfamilar with or haven't heard before.

@ Designer and @ robbins.photo: Oh guys :hug:: When you say you'll help non native speakers, you mean just help me, not Raj or someone else, right? ;)

Raj, don't be angry, I'll help you if you don't know some fancy/urban/slang/complicated word of English... don't worry ;)

Oh, mannnn, EFF that idea!!!!

In place of the word "badges", substitute "forum jargon buster"! lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why yes, mmaria, Electronic Frontier Foundation is dizz-actly what I was thinkin' 'bout!

Or perhaps we could use simple pointing diagrams in case asking or learning is just too much for the little dears.

n18pz.jpg

@ Designer and @ robbins.photo: Oh guys :hug:: When you say you'll help non native speakers, you mean just help me, not Raj or someone else, right? ;)

Raj, don't be angry, I'll help you if you don't know some fancy/urban/slang/complicated word of English... don't worry ;)

Well no, of course not Raj. I mean... seriously. You have to draw the line SOMEWHERE..

Lol.

Ok, on a slightly serious note - one of the big attractions to the forum is that people who don't know a lot about cameras/photography can come here and get some help. I realize that a lot of folks got into photography long before the mighty Al Gore (Long may he reign) invented the internet and made access to information so much easier than it was back in the day. Learning photography, getting answers to questions is a whole lot easier now than it was in that bygone era.

Maybe that irritates some - that they had to jump through a lot more hoops than some of the folks today to get access to the same information. So maybe that makes some folks a bit cranky whenever anybody starts talking about making that information even more readily available than it already is - who knows. Thing is I guess if one of the idea's behind the forum is to help people learn photography, well a feature that helps demystify some of the commonly used abbreviations really wouldn't be a bad thing.

The assumption that people wouldn't google these terms or take the time to research them on their own is not one that I think should be made, nor do I think it's really all that pertinent to the discussion itself. If I can get all the information I need on one website as opposed to hitting half a dozen, well then I'm more likely to return to the one website that offers me the most complete and accurate information. That to me is just common sense.

Ok, smart aleck mode re-engaged. Lol

Perhaps a year ago, I made a suggestion to the administrator that, when people registered, in their confirming email, they get a link to suggested stickies on definitions and how to upload pictures.

It seems a low enough bar to entry for newcomers that, in exchange for free information, they take the initiative to learn the few bits of language that are particular to photography.
If we pander to newbies by simplifying things even more, there is no end to how far we would need to go; instead of aperture, we could say 'hole in the end of the lens that light goes through' or instead of shutter speed we could say ' the amount of time the camera mechanism allows light to hit the sensor.'

Most reactions

New Topics

Back