Suggestion for two new forums

nukie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
iced.vanillashots.com
Can we please please please have two new forums on this board. Hopefully it'll clean up the General Discussion forum.

The Talk Dirrrty to Me Forum
Sort of a cross between A Men Seeking Women/Women Seeking Men forum and a Teenage Gossip MSN Chat Channel. To put it in simply, this is where you hit on other forum members.

The Desperate & Dateless Forum
Got you're schools 10 year reunion coming up and you need a foxy lady/hot bod'ed toyboy to take? This is where you go to say you want to pick up hot photographers but are just too lazy to do all the smooth talking.

Oooh oooh, *raises hand* I've got one!

How about:

The Barely here and comes back only to whine about the off-topic forum Forum

markc said:
How about a Clean forum, where no innuendo is allowed. That would probably be easier that the other way. Otherwise all the other forums will die a quick death.
good point.

How about we start being a little more strict on things....

Here are my 2 thoughts:

1. Outside of the off-topic area, the posts should all be photography based. Most are, but I do seem some other things happening out there. If it isn't directly photography related, or if you have a comment that you are thinking about adding to a thread that goes in a different direction, please don't post in that thread.

2. If you are responding to a thread (off-topic forum or not), please stick to the topic of the thread. The off-topic forum is a place to chit-chat and have fun, but the posts in a thread should at least have something to do with what the thread was started for! Most people get frustrated if they start a topic on a subject and next thing you know it is 5 pages long and only the first page had anything to do with the subject.

I pretty much agree with Chase. I should have added a wink to my last post, as it was mostly tongue in cheek. The other board I'm on has fairly strict rules about off-topic posts, and I think it works rather well. The member list is big enough that it has to be that way. On a smaller board I don't think you need to be as strict, but there seems to be enough activity here that some restraint would be a good thing. I can understand people getting miffed about threads going way out into left field.

I'm a very non-sequiter kind of guy, so I can be happy posting about random crap until the cows come home, but it usually isn't very constructive for people who want to learn or discuss something specific.

For the most part, I think the gallery, critique, and other photography specific threads do pretty well as far as staying on topic, so I don't think it would take much effort to keep the silly stuff for silly threads in the Off-Topic forum.

markc said:
I pretty much agree with Chase. I should have added a wink to my last post, as it was mostly tongue in cheek.
ditto...

I agree with everyone here... it has gotten a bit out of hand but most of it has stayed in the OT forum. People going off topic in a thread is a problem but I've seen it much worse. Since this really isn't a chatroom it would be nice if the topic you click on stays to that topic. At least for the most part. If a couple posts here and there are out of place that doesn't matter. It's when things stay off topic.

You guys must've been 'raised up' in different forums than me. Over at reefs.org, the off-topic forum is known for going wayyy off track in pretty much every thread. Personally I think it's fun.

Yea, every general discussion in the other forums I frequent always go way off topic. All you gota do is bring up the original topic in your next post if you want to talk about it more.

Well, there have been a lot of just "fun" threads where I don't see it as being a problem at all. My "Special Announcement" thread was meant to be like that from the start. But if someone starts a thread asking for non-photography advice or about their pets or a favorite sports team, it would be nice to know that it wouldn't be hijacked into a thread about tea and cumpets.

graigdavis said:
Yea, every general discussion in the other forums I frequent always go way off topic. All you gota do is bring up the original topic in your next post if you want to talk about it more.
That's sounds good, as long as people would be willing to drop the sidetrack or start a separate thread on it.

THAT is TOO funny!

I was just reading your last post, and half expected you to mention it. Then, I refresh the thead...and sure enough, there it is! :lol:

Actually, it may be on permanent hold. Looking into some other options...

Most reactions

Back