Suggestions anyone?

thomaskrewe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've narrowed down my choice of camera to the Canon 40D or 50D. My main purpose for this camera will sports action shots. I've read many reviews stating that the 50D has very poor image quality compared to the 40D despite the higher pixels. Any help from others is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Either of those cameras will do what you want..

Do not equate pixel count to image quality, they just do not equate that way..

The optical quality of the lens you select, and it's speed will have the largest affect on image quality for action shots..

If you are going to be on the sidelines, shooting action, and want some bang for your buck; here is my opinion...and remember what you paid for it..;)

Get your best deal on a 40d body, and then use the money you saved, add to it and get the very excellent Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS lens.

I've read many reviews stating that the 50D has very poor image quality compared to the 40D despite the higher pixels.

Most of the reviews I've read say that the 50D isn't much of an improvement in image quality over the 40D, but I haven't read any that say it's worse. For that matter the 20D/30D often scores higher than either the 40D or 50D in high ISO/low light IQ.

But this is splitting hairs. The 20D, and the ##Ds that have come after it are all wonderful cameras with excellent image quality potential.

From what I can tell, there were a lot of poor reviews of the 50D floating around when it was first released...but now that many photographers are actually using it...I haven't heard a bad word about it.
Personally I'd go for the 50D unless you can get a great deal on a 40D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back