suggestions for a wide angle lens for canon 40D

GATORGIRL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am just getting started in photography and I have a canon 40D camera. I was wondering if anyone knows a good wide angle lens to buy for taking mostly picures of people. I am going to attempt my first try at a large outdoor family shoot 30+ people in this family shoot and I will need to get a wide angle lens? I do not have alot of money to spend right now but of course want a good one that will make these family photos look nice! Any help or suggestions for what lens I would need for this would really help.

Thanks alot:)

You could also rent a lens to get the quality you want if you can't afford to buy one. Then you can decide if you need a wide-angle to use more than this special occasion. I most certainly LOVE mine :)

What lens do you have now? What is your widest/shortest focal length and how much wider do you want/need to go?

Wide angle lenses aren't usually the best choice for shooting people...the distortion can be very unflattering to people. It's better if you can just back up and shoot with a lens that isn't so wide.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I only have the lens that came with it is a zoom lens EF-28-135mm. I just got the camera not to long ago and like I said I am only trying this out for a hobby now I know I have lots more stuff to buy and lots more to learn. So I am trying to start some where.

I have been doing photos of people and when I back up to get the whole body or group of people in the shot I lose tons of detail and you can't even really see there face. I need something that I can get a whole person in and it look up close and clear of the whole body. Also in a large group I want to get all of them in the shot and still be able to see all the details and it not look so far away.

I know I sound like an idot probably...lol. Sorry about that but I am trying to learn about this so any and all help I really appreciate:) Thanks a billion everyone:)

I have the Tokina 11 -16mm f/2.8 on my wishlist, that is IF I keep the 1.6 crop factor body... about 500 U$.

EDIT: since you just established a criteria that includes framing groups people, I would not necessarily recommend this lens for that use (too much distortion and limited range). I've got a 17-85mm IS lens that would serve you better, it is the alternate kit lens for the 40D and I'm asking $350 for it. PM if interested (after you do your research).

-Shea

Last edited:
I would suggest something that starts at 17 or 18mm. I honestly don't know why they sold the 28-135mm lens as a kit with the 40D....28mm just isn't wide enough for what I think of as common photography.

You could pick up an EF-S 18-55mm (kit) lens for pretty cheap. There is a newer version that has IS, which would probably be better. The EF-S 17-85mm IS, is pretty much the same lens as your 28-135mm, but with a wider/shorter focal length. This is a pretty good lens.

If you are getting a new lens, it might be wise to get something with a larger max aperture...a 'faster' lens. A really good one would be the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS but it's also pretty expensive. You can get something similar from Tamron (17-50mm F2.8) or Sigma (18-50mm F2.8) for less (although not quite as good).

As mentioned, the EF 17-40mm F4L is a great lens.

If you want to go even wider, the EF-S 10-22mm is a great choice and again, there are similar lenses from other companies that are a bit cheaper.

Thank you! So for shooting pictures like that, Full body shots and large groups would you all think that I dont need a wide angle lens? I know that as I get in to it more I will need more lens but for now I am mainly trying out people shots for now. But like I was saying I just need a really good lens that will bring the subjects closer in and still have all the details:)

Thanks for all the help:)

It depends what you are calling a wide angle lens.

If you could shoot the groups with your 28-135mm, then that would be great...but there will probably be times & places where you won't have the room to back up far enough, or when you don't want to be that far away from your subjects.

Many would consider 17mm to be 'wide' on your camera...some would even say that it's too wide for shooting people but it's would be really hand when you don't have a lot of room. A 17-50mm lens, on your camera, would be considered a 'normal range' lens. It goes from wide to slightly telephoto.

A really 'wide angle lens' is something like the 10-22mm. I use this lens for landscapes and sometimes for people, but when I'm shooting people, it's usually when I want to include a lot of their surroundings. Filling the frame with a person, with this lens...would look really goofy, which is cool but not very flattering.

Firstly, your need for a wide angle lens for shooting these groups is only dependant on whether or not you can get everyone in using your current widest focal length in your shooting location. Also, as Big Mike mentioned, wide lenses don't tend to be particularly flattering for people.

Also,

I do not have alot of money to spend right now but of course want a good one that will make these family photos look nice

That is a bit of an oxymoron. A good wide angle lens (and this applies to any lens) will cost you good money. The good news is that the lens has nothing to do with how "nice" the family or group of people look - that's completely down to your skill as a photographer.

I am sorry, to be more specific I was trying to say that I do not have a whole lot of money to spend but yes I want a nice lens that works well and has good reviews, etc. And I understand about the photographer needing to have skills as well. I am new to photography as I said so I don't know very much about lens or the prices and wanted to make sure that the lens would not make them look bad like I have heard before about wide angle lens and people. So thats what I meant about wanting to make the people and shot look good. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Anyway, thanks for everyones input:)

My walkaround lens on my 30D is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and I love it. For wider angle, I have my Sigma 10-20 -- a great lens but it takes a bit of practice to use it for people-pix that don't look very distorted.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=39486

Last edited:
Several folks have recommended the US$440 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. This lens gets good reviews. You might be able to rent it for a test drive.

I have the US$960 EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. If it and the Tamron are out of your budget, the US$140 EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS might suit your needs.

Most reactions

Back